May celebrations!
I have memories of joining in Maypole dancing at my village Primary school, many years ago. I'm sure we got in a tangle, but it was part of the celebrations for MayDay, so we all did our best.
May celebrations!
I have memories of joining in Maypole dancing at my village Primary school, many years ago. I'm sure we got in a tangle, but it was part of the celebrations for MayDay, so we all did our best.
Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...
13 comments:
I ate the young leaves of Hawthorn. They were knows as "bread and butter" around here.
I love the hawthorn hedges. It is a shame so many have been ripped out to make larger fields. One of the schools I worked in in Leicestershire had a portable Maypole. It was fetched out each year and the children learned to dance round it. All except for the four whose job was to sit on the seat which encircled the base of the pole. Their job was to stabilise it and stop it toppling when the rest of the class danced round with their ribbons!
oh good glad you have sorted the comments issues. I have also heard you can eat hawthorn leaves but don't think they would be very nice! I did maypole dancing at school and loved it, my son enjoyed it too but they no longer do it in the schools around here so my younger son didnt get to enjoy - I noticed on tv this morning the local news had some maypole dancing girls, maybe it will make a comeback. Beltaine was always a special day in our house when I was growing up and it still feels special now, the hope of the year to come, sunshine, flowers, the smell of hay being cut :) Betty
Happy May Day to you!! I remember my daughters taking part in May Day celebrations many years ago. I'm pleased that you can once again leave comments. Handy to have a son who is "techy". I have one too.
Happy May day! Yay about the son helping with the computer! I am so glad! Thinking of you!
Happy May Day to you. I'm always glad when the younger folk fix things for us. Glad you got those issues taken care of.
Happy May Day to you !💐 It's been lovely down here on the Lizard . 🌞 x
Hi, Happy May Day to you as well. I grew up in Colorado in the US and went to a girls school. We danced around the maypole…in 1968 I was 12. Not sure anyone does it now, but we sure had a great time ;). Hilogene in Az.
Not sure if we have Hawthornes here, but what lovely flowers and beautiful red berries.
God bless.
As soon as I see the Blackthorn and then the Hawthorn, I feel spring is on its way. Love your cherry blossom trees and spring flowers in your previous post, especially the primroses. beautiful.
Hawthorn trees in bloom are glorious, especially with hundreds of bees buzzing among the flowers. I'm glad you were able to solve the commenting issue. The on-line world can be so complicated.
Nice to see you back. The trees are beautiful at the moment fully in bloom. Yes Maxime has grown up one year old now! Happy May.
I haven't seen maypole dancing for a while which is a shame.
I sometimes need my daughters support with techi stuff but she is very patient with me.
Wishing you a lovely May with lots of beautiful blossoms.
Post a Comment