Autumn is an odd season.
I feel I should be getting ready to hibernate, with all the requisite woolly blankets, furry cushions and scented candles. However, the sun is shining here, and we are apparently heading for an Indian Summer. I have planted some tulip bulbs outdoors, and some Hyacinth bulbs for indoors.
And then I settle down to read.
This is a fascinating book that I have just finished, a countryside book, written with gentle humour. Rosamund Young runs a farm, Kite's Nest, on the edge of the Cotswolds. Nature is left as much to itself as possible, and the animals are treated like family members. She knows her sheep by name, and by their sometimes funny habits.
Her descriptions of the wildflower meadows are particularly lovely, as also the tales of other animals found on the farm both wild and tame.
Here's a tiny excerpt on seeing a squirrel decimating the bird food;
I'm watching the bird table from the kitchen window, holding a basket for some reason, and I keep it over my arm as I walk outside and tell the squirrel to go away from the bird table. I place the basket on the ground and before I can take a step, the squirrel walks towards me, looks up appealingly and jumps in. I am suitably amazed but feel there is no point in saying so. I pick the basket up and take the squirrel for a short walk round part of the garden. I return to the same spot and place the basket on the ground. The squirrel jumps out.
The author has also written 'The Secret Lives of Cows', which I haven't read.
Here are my hyacinth bulbs, snuggling down for a few weeks until the little green shoots appear.

12 comments:
Lovely... same here, it's still warm.... was cold one week and then warmed up again! Slowly getting cooler!
On this Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, it's gorgeous here. Temperature at +22C and sunny blue skies.
Your book sounds charming. And your hyacinth bulbs for later in the year - what a treat to look forward to.
The Wisdom of Sheep sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I seem to be drawn more and more to gentle books. Gladys Taber and "Miss Read" are old favourites that I reread when I'm in this mood. It's getting harder and harder to find books of that sort. Our local library no longer carries them. I suppose there's not enough demand.
We're having a bit of Indian summer right now which is turning to cold and rain next week. That book sounds pleasant to read. Take care...
Well now, that sounds like a delightful read! I have some Hyacinth bulbs I saved from last year that I forgot to plant this year. Hopefully they will be ok for next year.
{{hugs}} my friend!!
Summer is lingering here in our corner of the world, too. I think I've seen more consecutive days of sunshine this week than all summer on our trip to the east. It's lovely. Bulb planting is on my list of things to do soon.
Have a wonderful week!
The book sounds delightful, I would love to carry a squirrel round my garden in a basket - we have one that visits but he wouldn't be that friendly - I might seek out the book at the library. I love hyacinth but can't have indoors as hubby doesn't like the scent so have in the garden - they last for ages and I love the scent. Yes, an Indian Summer, how lovely that is but will confuse nature and our gardens no doubt :) Betty
We are chilly here this week, but last week was a kind of Indian Summer. I love the slower paced feel of autumn.
We are going to plant the bulbs this weekend we were waiting for bulbs baskets we ordered on Amazon they arrived today.
Oh yes, that sounds a lovely book! Enjoy the golden days, they pass all to too soon. Then it will be gales and wild storms ( time to cosy up). :)
That sounds like a lovely book to read and the cheeky squirrel made me smile. Thank you for sharing.
What a good idea to plant hyacinth bulbs. Maybe I will do that, too! I can't get that book on my Kindle because Amazon says it's currently unavailable. SAD! It looks so good!
Post a Comment