Friday, 5 January 2024

Signs of Spring.

My Hyacinths were planted in November last year, I cant remember what colour they are, but I think that I probably chose blue. It wont be too long before they are out.



Outside on my front step I have a bowl full of tiny daffodils and Iris. Now they too are producing their first little spikes.


In the conservatory, which doesn't have heat, I'm surprised to see the Geraniums flowering happily. Last Winter I lost several by leaving them in the greenhouse, all polythene covered, but it wasn't enough to stave off the frost. So this year, they are safe.


 The appearance of the little bulb leaves makes me look forward to Spring. In Cornwall we already have daffodils flowering in the fields, so maybe Winter is beginning to recede.

16 comments:

Deanna Rabe said...

We've really just entered winter here in the US. We've been pretty mild so far, and I am beginning to think of my garden and changes I may be making! I love to see your geraniums blooming!

KirstenM said...

I used to love visiting my family early in the year. All the flowers and trees were so much further on, and it felt like having Spring twice over when we were back home again.


Jackie said...

I am looking out my window watching the snow fall. We really have had a fairly decent winter so far with warmer temps and very little snow. I think we in Canada will have to wait a bit longer for spring.

Can't wait to see the blooms.

God bless.

Pom Pom said...

You are so far ahead of us. It's hard NOT to look forward to spring and gardening. I'll enjoy your dafs!

Angela said...

I'm enjoying a lovely vase of daffodils which are gradually opening in the warmth of my lounge. Spring is on its way!

Deanna said...

Loving plants is part of making me so happy. By far your geraniums look healthier than mine. I brought mine into the utility room and they haven't done well. I was hoping they would winter better than they have. I enjoyed seeing your pretty geraniums!
We have about 74 days until SPRING!!!! ~d on the Kansas Prairie

Latane Barton said...

A bit of colorful flowers is always a welcome sight in the dead of winter.

Poppypatchwork said...

I have shoots everywhere, bulbs, trees and I even have rhubarb growing.

ellen b. said...

Signs of Spring are always so welcome in Winter. We aren't there yet in our corner. Happy first weekend in January to you!

Lorrie said...

Those sharp green tips are such welcome sights in January. Here there are just a few beginning to poke up through the soil, but a cold snap is expected in a few days which will slow everything down a little.
Your hyacinth pot is so pretty!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Isn't it cheering when we are rewarded with these lovely little signs of Spring - I have planted about 200 small narcissus, tulip, grape hyacinth and snowdrop in my borders and lawn but cannot see much sign of them, I hope at least some make an appearance, I have noticed though that my magnolia (currently leafless) which I rescued from the garden centre reduced/unhealthy section 2 years ago has 5 promising buds! it's only ever managed 1 very sad specimen last year so I am hopeful of big reward this year! Betty

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Lovely to see the bright green shoots starting to appear that remind us that Winter will fade and Spring will bring new life. You have some lovely blooms to look forward to x

Visits With Mary said...

Our coldest days are yet to come. Your geraniums look great!

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage said...

Wow! Winter has just arrived in southern Missouri USA. It's getting colder and possibly snowier now.

Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
Laura

P.S. Came by after seeing your comment on Mrs. White's blog.

Catherine said...

You are lucky to already have daffodils in Cornwall! We don’t have any flowers for the moment but cold and snow. Spring is far away!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Wow! Your spring is arriving already, and our winter is just taking off - so wonderful to enjoy the first delights of spring virtually through your pictures! It's nice to know it is spring somewhere! Blessings to you!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...