Monday, 26 February 2024

What's an App?

 One learns all the time. 

The very word 'app' strikes panic in my brain. I know the term , I just dont know what it means. It must be an age thing. So last night when the phone rang at about 9.30pm, I was surprised to hear my son, who lives in Australia, talking.

'Find your mobile' he said (knowing me well enough to know that I wouldn't have it immediately to hand),' and I'll take you on a tour'.

 I only use my mobile if I'm away from home and if it's really necessary. My mobile and I dont have a close relationship. He then proceeded to tutor me in the use of Whatsapp. It's a free messaging service by which you can talk and send pictures. (I'm sure you all knew that anyway)


Recently he and his wife have moved from Sydney to Queensland, so I was treated to a video  wander round the new house and garden, and then just a short walk to this lovely bit of coastline, called Hervey Bay.


'We come here most mornings for a swim', he said. I think I would be tempted too!


We had nearly an hour to chat. It was somehow a little strange to see my son in shorts and sunhat wandering round the new property, while I listened to the howling wind and torrential rain outside my window.

But now I feel slightly more at ease with an App!

14 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

How lovely that you were able to see your son and his surroundings while he filmed and showed you. I am also familiar with the term APP but still don't understand about it in spite of several attempts to explain by grown children and grands.

ellen b. said...

That was a great idea by your son to get you more connected all the way from Australia. The Mennonite Girls Can Cook (10 of us) do all our chatting on What's App. It really is convenient. And yes, one of the younger gals had to tutor me to get connected correctly. :)
It is always a brain adjustment to consider the southern hemisphere is always in an opposite season from us. Have a great end to February!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I've heard of WhatsApp but have never ventured forth to use it. What a treat to see your son in his surroundings in real time. My niece lived in Australia last year as a teacher. She loved it in Australia. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful visit chat you had with your son.

Jackie said...

Good for you. Now you can have lovely visual chats with your dear son.

God bless.

Angela said...

WhatsApp is wonderful for keeping in touch with nearest and dearest. It makes my day to get a video WA call from the grandchildren. I'm so glad your son has helped you with it.

Poppypatchwork said...

We use WhatsApp daily, keeping in touch with family, you can create groups, I have one with hubby and daughter, and also my siblings, stops you have to repeat things.

Cheryl said...

What a treat for you to be able to tour your son's new home and vicinity . . . the next best thing to being there! I'm sure it was totally worth learning that new thing!

Catherine said...

Every week end I Skype with my son in Dubaï and I can see the sun and blue sky
While here was Louis storm and a lot of rain!

Lorrie said...

That's a wonderful use of technology! Your son lives in a beautiful place, so glad you could see it virtually.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I'm not very confidant with technology but I do love using WhatsApp. It is wonderful to be able to see and speak to family and friends near and far using this app. It will be lovely to see your son from the comfort of your armchair.

Latane Barton said...

Technology is a mysterious thing. Sometimes we can figure it out, sometimes we can't and when we think we have it figured out the powers that be changes the format and we have to learn all over again. That's hard on us 'older' folks. By older, I mean over 40!

Anne Payne said...

Technology has its good uses!!! I loved using a video app when my son was in the service.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Isn't Whatsapp wonderful!? it means you can call people within wifi any where - free !! when on holiday we have video chats with our sons whilst sitting at the bar in the evening - we take our phone out and give them a live tour of where we are - it's so good - they also Whatsapp me to show a shiny kitchen when I am away - very reassuring! So lovely for you to have had that moment with your son - it is very much like being with them :) Betty

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...