Tuesday, 9 July 2024

Hydrangeas, and a bit of Cornish history

I'm so happy to see my Hydrangea flowering again. It always surprises me with a mix of colours , even though it is all one plant.

 I have the 'mophead' plants but also the flat lace cap variety which is late flowering this year, so no photos yet.


Next to the hydrangea is a pillar which has had a lovely yellow rose, Graham Thomas. who has finished flowering. There is a very dark purple Clematis twining its way around the obelisk, which has not done as well this year. I think it has been too wet.


Cornwall is a county that is always successful in producing Hydrangeas, possibly because there is so much rainfall here . In the 19th Century plants were brought from Japan to Cornwall and planted in some of the historic gardens in the county.

 Trebah Gardens is one. It is such a lovely place to wander, from the house down to the shore. During WW2 the beach was concreted to allow access for landing crafts, and you can still see the track marks. In June 1944 7500 men embarked from Trebah beach with tanks, guns and transport. Onward they battled through raging seas till they reached Omaha beach.


Now all is peaceful, with lakes, woodland and beach to explore.


16 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Your Hydrangea is beautiful and so huge!! It looks like maybe it is an Endless Summer? I have a couple of those but they remain puny compared to the Annabelle.

The bike shed said...

I love hydrangeas too - my neighbour had a beautiful one but when new owners took over the house they ripped it out - fools!

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

Beautiful photo. That park is exquisite. I enjoy the history of it as well.!
I’ve never grown hydrangeas. They are so unique how they change colors within the same plant.

Lorrie said...

I do love hydrangeas. They didn't grow where I grew up, much further north, and I'm so happy to have them here now. They always delight with their colours - I have mostly mopheads, one lace cap, and one Annabelle that I'm starting from my daughter's plant. The story of the park is interesting - paving over the beach must have been a huge undertaking!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The hydrangeas are marvelous. The lake is beautiful, a nice place to visit.

Aritha V. said...

Rain means so much for hydrangeas. I find yours beautiful. Mine are white, and after three hot summers, I had given up hope. I wanted to dig them out. What do you think? I didn’t, and this year they are blooming so beautifully. It’s because of the large amount of rain.

Thank you for your lovely blog post. 🌧️🌸

ellen b. said...

I love hydrangeas. Western Washington (Seattle area) is a great place to grow hydrangeas, too.
That garden is a treasure...so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful flowers and some history too!
Jo

KirstenM said...

Trebah - your post brings back happy memories of when the children were small and we used to stay with my parents when they lived in Falmouth. Thank you for the pictures.

Terri said...

I love hydrangea and miss having them. Yours are beautiful!!

Sarah said...

I do love hydrangeas and love love Cornwall, it would be my dream place to live. So good to visit your blog again, I think it's been some time since I last visited.

Jackie said...

Hmmm, my post from yesterday is probably in cyberspace. Your Hydrangeas are gorgeous. I love the fact you get two colours on one plant.

God bless.

Catherine said...

I also have blue hydrangeas blooming at the moment this year weather is much better for the plants they have more water.

The park is now a lovely place.
We just visited the British war memorial when we came back from our weekend innCotentin.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Your hydrangea is so pretty with both pink and blue blooms. It must love your soil and the weather we have been having.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I just love hydrangeas - and how amazing that Cornwall has such perfect soil for them to thrive in. I enjoyed your history about the war, and how quickly the tranquil setting changed during the war, and now, how beautiful it is again. Time is like the sand on the seashore, isn't it. One must dig deep and look back to see what once was! Enjoy your beautiful blooms!

Gill said...

We have just come back from a lovely week in Falmouth, staying in an apartment on North Quay overlooking the harbour. Had two lovely visits to Glendurgan Garden and Tresillick Garden, both were fabulous but we preferred Glendurgan. A fabulous stay that set us up to deal with our house move.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...