Saturday, 2 November 2024

November.

 Days go by and here we are in November. My mind is blank, and writing anything seems to be a non starter. How do other people find something interesting to write about daily?

This week I have been busy finding little things to go in my 'Operation Christmas Child' shoebox. We do this through our local Church, as I expect many of you do also. I try to get a varied collection of toys, books, pens, gloves, etc. I'd love to be there watching the children open their boxes. The children that receive these boxes may never have known the joy of opening a box of presents.


I've also been to a local Fundraiser today for the Cats Protection League. You can see what an exciting life I lead! I forgot to take my camera, very silly, as there was a wonderful table full of over a hundred Teddies to be raffled. Everybody who bought a ticket won a teddy!


I think mine will go in one of the boxes to be sent as a gift!

In the garden I am surprised to find roses still flowering. 

Aren't they lovely?


The last leaves on my Cherry tree, ready to fall, but still providing a lovely Autumnal colour to the garden.


I'm sending very few Christmas cards this year, as the cost of postage here is so high. It's sad, as I love choosing Charity cards and writing a little message to a friend. There will be plenty of local ones to deliver by hand which is always a pleasure.

"Autumn is a second Spring, when every leaf is a flower."

Albert Camus


14 comments:

Barwitzki said...

Oh how beautiful, I also have a few blooming roses and the trees are still covered with the most beautiful autumn leaves.
The leaves of your cherry tree have a wonderful color, just like your roses. I'll cut them off today, I think we'll get the first frost that night.
I was surprised that I had to pay £2.50 for a postcard. It's a shame that postage has increased so much worldwide because it limits communication... we used to like to send each other little things in blogland - the expensive postage prohibits that, especially overseas.
However, I still send you a happy greeting... sun and autumn leaves... what more could we want.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I loved your post, Barbara. Thank you so much for letting us see the wonderful little items you are choosing for your Christmas shoebox. Such a delightful project to pour one's heart into. I think postage has gone up everywhere - here too. I hope to send out a few cards; perhaps I'll rejoin Jacquie Lawson's website and send out her lovely e-cards. Haven't used her cards for a few years.

I have wondered myself about what to write about these days. I've probably blogged it too numerous times the things that spark my heart and imagination. But every new days still has little things that make us smile or give us a tiny thrill. And that's what many of us enjoy reading when we visit our friends' blogs, including yours. It lets us stay in touch even though an ocean separates us.

I wish you His sweet comfort and grace for your week ahead. xo

Granny Marigold said...

The unopened buds are as beautiful if not more so than the rose that is open.
I'm also finding that the cost of stamps keeps going up and less and less folks send cards any more. I just don't feel that e cards will ever be a good substitute.
Happy November.

Angela said...

I send hardly any cards,because the cost of postage is high. I too have a solitary rose in the garden - and a lonely marigold in the raised bed

Lorrie said...

Your post is lovely, Barbara, full of the ordinary moments that connect us all across the globe. Postage is truly dreadful, but I still like to send a few cards here and there. E-cards are a pale substitute.
We once helped hand out the Samaritan Purse boxes in Ecuador - perhaps I'll write about the experience on my blog. The boxes are very much appreciated!
Lovely to have a few roses still valiantly blooming. Some remain in my garden, but they turn brown so quickly with the rain we've been having.
Have a lovely new week, Barbara.

Catherine said...

Your posts are interesting and the boxes for children very kind of you. I did once for the children in hospital. We also had last roses before we left home.
I like A. Camus very much and studied some of his books.
Nertherlands is a very nice place with many wild life and nature we like to go there to have a rest.
We did very nice walks, I’ll be back soon!

elizabeth said...

My Mom does these boxes too! Such a joy to do! Sad about postage! Email is a blessing!

Mrs. White said...

The Christmas gifts you have chosen will be such a blessing to the recipient! I love that the churches offer this special event each year. We still have a couple of roses here too, which greatly surprises me! Hand-delivering cards, when possible, is a good idea!

Terri said...

Love Operation Christmas Child. We have friends who are missionaries and their country is one of the sending sites. They have told us that there have been so many times that a child opens up the box and it's exactly the items they were hoping for.

ellen b. said...

I love the boxed Christmas cards in your charity shops. I am always tempted to buy them but they are generally oversized or not our standard sized so they even cost more to post. Sigh. Operation Christmas Child is a wonderful endeavor. You picked some great items. Are all those things going to fit in the box? The roses are such a sweet treat to enjoy in Autumn. Happy November to you!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Amazing how resilient some plants can be. Roses still blooming in November are a real treasure.
I don't post many cards either now as the cost is getting higher and higher. Operation Christmas Child is a wonderful way to bring joy into the lives of children who don't know the fun of Christmas day. Our church is supporting Birmingham City Mission ToyLink this year which is a similar idea. Enjoy filling your shoebox with love.

Cheryl said...

Indeed, daily writing is quite a challenge (I haven't done that in years), but it is always a pleasure to share a few moments with a friend across the miles. "Small Moments" are the stuff of life. Thank you for continuing to share them with us!

Donna said...

What beautiful roses!! And I still send out cards and letters...I'm old style.
Postage here, 73cents! Outrageous...
hugs
Donna

Barwitzki said...

Oh, how nice that you are coming to Germany in the Christmas month... I hope you visit many of the Christmas markets... it starts on the 1st of Advent... I'm already looking forward to it. And I started sewing little Christmas surprises :-))
Your surprises in the box are great... a wonderful move. It is also carried out here with us.
A hug for you.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...