Monday, 9 December 2024

Power out.



It has been one of the worst weekends in Britain due to Storm Darragh, Cornwall has had a bad time with 90 mile an hour gales, huge coastal waves and flooding. 



The wind was too powerful to even think about walking anywhere.
Shops were quickly closed, local garages shut down, and Christmas weekend fairs were cancelled.


My power went down completely on Saturday, no heat, no light, no phone, no laptop, nothing, and I don't have an alternative such as gas or open fire. The temperature in the house soon fell below safe levels.
 Fortunately I have a mobile phone and my daughter rescued me, sent a taxi as neither of us would dare to drive in the howling gale, and I stayed the weekend with her.

It seemed to be half our village without any power, but neighbours were very kind, offering flasks of hot drinks etc.

Back home now, and my garden doesn't seem to have suffered apart from a few things being blown down. A friend has lost all the glass in her greenhouse. It does make one realise the incredible power of the wind.

17 comments:

Angela said...

I'm so glad you were safe- grateful your daughter was able to accommodate you- and how wise to send a taxi! The wind is SO powerful

ellen b. said...

Oh my, so good to read that you and your home faired well. Wind and water are so powerful.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Weather with a capital W for you, we got off lightly in Suffolk

KirstenM said...

Thank heavens for family close by. I'm so glad you were rescued!

Anonymous said...

Even the wind and the waves obey Him. Linda T

Sandi said...

Glad you are okay! This post makes me want to have hot chocolate and turn on the Netflix fireplace.

elizabeth said...

Thank God you're okay! I'm so glad your daughter lives nearby!

Jackie said...

So glad that you had a place to take refuge in. Wow those were some winds.

God bless.

Granny Marigold said...

We've seen scenes of the devastation the storm caused. Scary!
Luckily your daughter thought to order a taxi and have you brought to her house.

Cheryl said...

Oh my, Barbara! So good to know that you were able to ride out the storm's effects at your daughter's place . . . and, of course, thankful that you were safe!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh that is scary. So glad to hear you are safe and sound, Barbara. Thank goodness you were able to stay with your daughter.

Terri said...

So happy to hear that you are safe and were able to stay with your daughter!!

Lorrie said...

What a storm that was! I am so glad you were able to shelter with your daughter. Wind can be so very powerful!

Rambler said...

Glad to know that all was well with you, Barbara. I stayed inside but it was scary to hear those awful winds and wonder what damage was being done. Lots of glass smashed from my greenhouse; my son came over to pick it all up, box it and put it out for the recycling lorry. Oh for the return of warmer, more peaceful weather.

Mrs. White said...

I am thankful to hear you are safe and were able to stay with your daughter. God bless and keep you safe and well always!

Catherine said...

We had the same weather here on the coast wind was about 150 km per hour in our district a lot of power cuts, but we did not had any here this time.

Chris said...

We survived and thankfully didn't lose power, how fortunate that your daughter lives near.. the winds were horrendous.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...