Friday, 3 October 2025

Preparing for a hospital stay



 
I have never suffered a broken limb, so crutches are new to me. But after knee surgery later this month I shall be on two crutches for six weeks. That sounds a very long time.
I have seen a very charming Anesthetist, had pints of blood taken, been to 'Joint School' (yes, really), filled the freezer with ready meals, and ordered some essential equipment. One of which is a trolley, because as my niece told me 'You can make a cup of tea, but you can't carry it anywhere'. How sensible.
My surgeon told me, laughingly....'For the first two weeks you'll wish you hadnt had it done, in the second weeks you'll feel a little better, but at the end of the six weeks, you'll be glad you had it done.'
Hmm.
Not that I approve of the Disney illustration, but this did seem to sum up how I feel!



21 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

I found that my knee replacement wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared. I hope you have a similar experience

16 blessings'mom said...

Mine is coming up soon too, as soon as the insurance company approves it! I hope we both do astoundingly well!

Poppypatchwork said...

Good luck, hope the painful bit flies by and you are back mobile.

ellen b. said...

Praying right now for the surgery to be a success and recovery and healing to go well for you!!

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

What your surgeon said is correct. I had knee replacement but they got me on my feet within 6 hours after surgery. I’m like, “are you kidding me? “ You do go through ups and downs but I know I’m glad I had it. It gave me back my mobility.
Best wishes for a successful surgery and complete recovery

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sending my best wishes too. I hope the surgery goes well also the recuperation time. The trolley will no doubt be a great help once you're installed at home.

Mrs. White said...

Your preparations are wonderful! I appreciate the doctor describing exactly what to expect! Rest well and heal quickly!! God bless you!

KirstenM said...

Someone at church recommended having a pack of frozen peas to hand.... hopefully friends and relatives will be on hand. Prayers...

Terri said...

Praying for you! As someone who has knee surgery, be sure to do any post-op exercises they give you. It's the key for faster healing!

Lorrie said...

You are well prepared for your surgery and the aftermath. I will pray that all goes well. What good advice medical professionals often give. The trolley - who would have thought of that on their own?

Jackie said...

You have gotten as prepared as possible, and I am sure the surgery will go well. My friend had both her knees done and was slowly walking with canes after the first week. She did do a great deal of resting as well.

God bless.

Terra said...

Your surgeon is predicting a rough first two weeks and then eventual great results, so he is preparing you. I would not have thought of the trolley. How will you push it?

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I watched my mom go through this surgery a few years ago. I think she would agree with the assessment of how one feels during those six weeks. You'll be glad at the end. And you are well prepared. A splendid idea to get a trolley for getting things from one spot to the other. Barbara, I say a little prayer that it all goes well. We'll see you on the other side of it. A big heart hug. xo

elizabeth said...

Bless you! I hope you can have some assistance in those early weeks! May God give you strength and courage 🫂🙏💕 PS one of my friends had any replacement surgery and she's so much better now

Elderberry-Rob said...

Nice to see so many reassuring comments here for you - I think a walking frame for indoors might be helpful for you, one with a tray to carry things from one room to the other and to put all your weight on when you get tired of standing, if such a thing exists! Betty

Cheryl said...

It sounds like you are duly prepared for your upcoming surgery! I will pray for successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

MELODY JACOB said...

A hospital stay is always a big undertaking, even more so when surgery is involved, isn't it? Six weeks on crutches does sound like a long haul, but it's wonderful you're preparing so thoroughly. What a great idea to fill the freezer with meals, and that trolley for carrying a cup of tea is genius, your niece is very sensible. It's helpful to have your surgeon's honest timeline, even if the first part sounds tough. Good luck with the operation later this month.

Rajani Rehana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I had my hip replaced ten years ago and was not allowed out of bed for three days, low blood pressure and reaction to morphine, but after three weeks was walking with one crutch which I had given up entirely by six weeks, within a year I was walking with a backpack on the Spanish Camino. Rest well at the start and do not be impatient allow time to heal and you will be fine.

Sal said...

I hope that you recover quickly. I’m sure that the time will fly and you’ll soon be back to normal. Sending you good wishes. 😁

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!
Jo

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...