Storm Goretti has a lot to answer for. I know how much damage has been done through the whole of the country, but here in Cornwall it seems worse. St Michael's Mount has lost 8o trees out of 100. Our main road to Truro was completely blocked by fallen trees.
St Micheal's Mount
Some of our beautiful Gardens have seen rare species crash to the ground, some hundreds of years old. Chainsaws have been going non stop clearing fallen trees from the roads.
Amazingly my garden was untouched, but my neighbour lost her greenhouse glass. The power went off last Thursday evening. I was prepared, with torch, candles and flasks of boiling water. However, I wasnt expecting the cut to continue for over 36 hours. The house began to get very cold, as I have no other power but electricity. A friend at the other end of the village, which still had power, called me to go to her for a hot drink and breakfast.
The Community really pulled together. A cafe opened its doors late into the evening for free hot drinks. A nearby Pub did the same. Contact was difficult as phones didnt work, but somehow the vulnerable people in the village were looked after.
When the power finally came on we heaved sighs of relief, only to find it had gone out again early on the Sunday morning.
Now we are back to normal in most areas, but some of the outlying small villages have had to wait days for their power to come back.
But there are daffodils almost in flower in the garden!


17 comments:
Amid the carnage daffodils bloom. Isn't that just like life itself.
The damage done by the storm is almost unbelievable. I'm thankful you stayed safe.
I was wondering how your area did. I am so glad to read that you are safe and sound. What a lovely community you live in.
God bless.
Wow, that was quite the storm. It's so good when the community pulls together and helps everyone out. I'm glad you are safe. Yet the daffodils sailed through without issue. Nature is amazing.
How sad to lose so many trees, thankfully no lives lost. Here in Portsmouth we had no such problems just rain, wind and very cold little snow flurries - what a blessing. Glad you have a good community where you are. Stay safe. Elaine
Wow. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of trees etc. loss of power is very difficult. I am so glad for the way people helped out during this time. Lord have mercy 🫂🕯️🙏🩷
The loss of trees on St Michaels Mount is dreadfully sad.
Loss of electric in January is no fun at all, I'm glad you got through OK
Loss of trees is always sad. I am grateful that you have neighbours and friends who look out for you. Keep safe and warm ❤️🙏
Communities do work well together, local help is the best way. Sad to loose so many tree's, hopefully some will be replaced.
Thank heavens for your lovely community.
Storm Goretti hardly touched us, we protected by the north and south downs, I expect. We just gad to retrieve a couple of plastic bell clothes from further down the garden
80 out of 100! That is devastating. I wish we'd get these kind of news stories and be aware instead of politics all the time. What a wonderful community you live in. PTL that your power has been restored.
It was sad to read about the trees on St Michaels Mt. I loved it there when I visited it back in 2011.
80 trees out of a 100 lost is very sad, I hope they will be replanted. Im glad your neighbours were generous and that you were well prepared yourself for the storm.
I'm thankful your garden was spared but that is a huge loss of trees!
That is incredible! Glad you are okay, and your power is back on!
Storm Goretti did a lot of damage in your part of the country. It must be devastating to see so many trees ripped up by the winds. I'm glad that you are safe and that you have a caring community around you where everyone looks out for each other. May the new daffodil shoots be a reminder that there are still many beautiful things in nature if we look for them.
Keep safe, wish you happy week-end ❤
It was awfully frightening wasn't it ?! Poldhu Nursing Home had a large part of it's roof torn off . As for us , yes , power cuts , phone off , water supply was compromised by fallen trees their roots shattering water pipes below the ground , we had to collect bottles of water .....the water is still not quite right . I am glad you are o.k. 💐 x
Post a Comment