Sunday, 13 March 2022

Lent 2

Following Angela (Tracing Rainbows) , looking again at Lent. 


As a child, Lent was always about 'giving up' something, maybe chocolates or sweets. It generally lasted about a week, I'm sad to say.

But we had choices, didnt we?

For the millions of refugees pouring out of Ukraine, there is no choice.

They have given up everything. It makes me feel that we  in the West have such an 'entitled' view about our needs/wants. 

Could we live out of a couple of supermarket bags? 


It's heartbreaking. But Lent is a time when we make sacrifices, when we give up things, when we focus on putting others first.

We can donate, we can collect goods, but  our prayers  for these broken families are so very important.

I'm so thankful that so many families in Europe are offering shelter, without monetary reward, just out of love, to so many families. 



11 comments:

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

My heart wails...I have no words. Holding these dear folks in my heart. This brings 'sacrifices' into a new perspective.

Linda Baker said...

I feel the same way Brenda does. Your post was beautiful.
Blessings, Linda

The bike shed said...

It is indeed heartbreaking - and yet it needs our collective strength to prevail. Ultimately, I sense (and pray) that we will - but the cost will be great. You are right we must all do what we can; every action, and every thought,counts.

ellen b. said...

It's so good to see the outpouring of support and kindness for the Ukrainians that have fled. We continue to pray for those still in the country and for those who have left everything behind.

Angela said...

You are absolutely right in what you say. May the Lord help us to continue to pray faithfully for these suffering people, and help us to act with thoughtfulness and compassion towards them.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I feel huge sadness for Ukraine, I am glad our country is helping them. In many ways the glimpses I see of what they are losing makes me more grateful by the day for all that I enjoy and take for granted.

Lorrie said...

Your words are spot on. My heart feels so heavy these days. I pray, and do what I can, but it is so very little. May God grant peace and comfort in these difficult days to the Ukrainian people, and wisdom to world leaders!

magsmcc said...

Hi, Elizabeth x These are heart-breaking days indeed. I asked a girl in school today where she found her hope as she watched all the news. We decided that tea is always a comfort. One of my parents' carers is called Talent. It really is a talent, a vocation, I think to help others in these personal ways.

Jackie said...

I belonged to a Christian sect that never really gave anything up for Lent, and so when I converted to Catholicism it was a shock. However we had a lovely priest who taught my classes for conversion and he said that one could do something good for someone else and so that is what I try to do each and every day. Even if it just a smile and a cheery good morning that counts.

I light a candle and say prayers for those poor broken families.

God bless.

God bless.

Lee said...

There are no words for what is happening in Ukraine,so painful and heartbreaking.This world is a frightening place and we must all learn to show kindness to others.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Our hearts hurt so much for those in the Ukraine who are having to leave everything familiar, and suffer so much. So wonderful that Europe has been able to help the Ukraianian people. As we approach the season of our Lord's death it is a time to reflect, and somberly ponder how we can draw ever closer to Him. Blessings to you :)

Threads through Revelation

  I've been to Truro Cahedral to visit a wonderful exhibition.  'Threads through Revelation' is the second of Jacqui Parkinson...