Monday, 28 December 2015

Cornish-isms.




The staff who look after my husband's hospital ward are so very nice.
Gone are the days of the Sergeant major Sisters, and now we have nursing staff who listen, who initiate conversations, which all begin with "Hello my name is...and I'm your nurse/orderly/Dr etc"

I had a small smile listening to a lovely Cornish helper this afternoon.
As she tucked an elderly gentleman into a blanket, tenderly, she murmured "There you are my lover, you'll soon be warm as toast" 
Would this be termed as being politically incorrect? I hope not.

The Cornish terms of endearment are many, the most widely used being 'meansum'. 
(Guess what it means)

We have some lovely phrases here. Dearovim is a favourite.
("E's feeling better today, dearovim")

Somehow it's all very comforting when you're not feeling well.
Long may it last, not be swept away in political correctness.

(Aside....'e is feeling better today, blessim, and I hope he'll be home soon)

15 comments:

Lynn said...

My handsome???? At least that's what I've heard before ~ lol. Glad M is on the mend. Thank goodness for these phrases ~ I would be lost without them as my memory for names remains poor.
L.x.


Elizabethd said...

Correct, Lynn!

Marigold Jam said...

I do hope we don't lose some of these isms In a world that has become homogenised - is that the word I mean? where you can forget just where you are as it's all the same it is good to have some local phrases to help us tell the difference! I remember my mother in law who called everyone "boy" or "girl" no matter how old they were which is apparently a Bedfordshire way of speaking and my Grandfather who called people Ol' butt.. Forest of Dean speak for old friend and so on - let;s hear it for localisms. Glad M is doing well blessim and hope to read that he is home again soon.

Pom Pom said...

That's what I like about Doc Martin. I like to hear the unfamiliar words and phrases. Prayers for your hubby.

ann said...

As one who has studied language all of my thinking life, I get so upset at all of this politically correct manipulation of language. Dear ones who are frail and ill need comfort and sometimes words are the only way of comfort. I wanted to answer your question you had about my genealogy search. I know quite a lot about my father's side and seem to have gone as far as I can on my mother's side: This what I know about my English heritage:
Thomas Duston (Duston or Durstan) was probably born n 1606 perhaps in Devon, England. He came to the new world in 1620 with a party of men with permission for "fowl and fishery" granted by Dukes under the rule of King James I. He may have returned one more time to England, but settled in New Hampshire.

Both of my grandparents trace their family to Thomas. On this same grandmother's side, we are direct descendants to John Howland and his wife Elizabeth Tilly, both passengers on the Mayflower; Howland came as an indentured servant. He fell overboard during a storm but was rescued. He has today 11 million descendants, so I am hardly unique. On my mother's side my great great grandparents immigrated from Ireland, Germany, and England.

So when I traveled to England and Ireland, I felt right at home! I am thinking that I my descendants may have had some connection to Swinden. I think we stayed there a couple of nights on our second English tour, so you know I'd love to return.








Elderberry-Rob said...

what lovely language, long may it last. in the New Year I hope to trace my mother's family tree as I know nothing much about her except that she was possibly from Cornwall and vague memories of the Padstow hobbyhorse event which I was taken to often - so your post was of course interesting for that reason too. I am glad your husband has genuinely caring staff around him. Betty x

Elizabethd said...

Ann, a very common surname in Cornwall is Dunstan, so maybe you have Cornish ancestry also.

Lorrie said...

Language has always fascinated me, and these regional 'isms' hold so much history and meaning. I can imagine the lilt in the nurse's voice as she tucked in her patient.

sweetbriardreams said...

I love these little sayings, they are little words of empathy and comfort. It's a shame that some people take them to be personal and rude (makes me say them even more!). Have a wonderful 2016 x

Anonymous said...

It is hard when one of our loved ones is sick. Especially when they have to be in hospitals :0( So glad that he is home and beginning to mend. May this new year be filled with peace dear lady :0) mari

Lisa said...

May 2016 be a year of blessings for you and yours! And yes, may the P.C. culture that's attempted to ruin our language and traditions go by the wayside. :) Happy new year!

Frances said...

Elizabeth, there's lots of love and caring in what you describe in this post.

I am so glad that your husband is feeling better, and wish you both a very fine 2016. Let us hope for a Happy New Year! xo

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Thank you for visiting Thistle Cove Farm, Elizabeth, and my heart goes out to you. Taking care of a frail loved one isn't easy but I'm glad you've got hospital staff who are kind and helpful. Curses on political correctness! It's a stupid and cruel joke played on sensitive and caring people.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

My husbands forebears came from Cornwall to New Zealand and we have a natural interest in your part of England.
We watched Doc Martin tonight and always enjoy the language and euphenisms!
Hospitals are much more patient friendly, I too remember the fearsome Matron of the old days.
Delightful news that your M is coming home. xoxo

Sandra said...

I love Cornish -isms very much.
Cheers, Sandra

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...