Wednesday, 20 July 2016

A meeting and a mine.

Way down almost at the furthest tip of Cornwall is a place very popular with visitors.
In a tiny village called Pendeen lies the largest preserved mining site in the country, Geevor mine. It is a Cornish Mining World Heritage site.
The mine worked from around 1911 through to 1990, producing tin and copper. There is a huge amount of history which can be found on this link.
Tours of the old mine workings are popular, and although I couldn't bear to go underground a large group of people were heading that way this morning.





One of the group, who chose not to do the tour was Brenda.
Brenda has a blog called It's a beautiful life, which I have followed for years.
I was so delighted when she told me that her month long tour of England was in Cornwall for a day. and we immediately made arrangements to meet.
I drove down to Geevor which is about an hour or so further West, and while Brenda's husband explored the mine, we sat in the delightful cafe overlooking the sea.

Sometimes you meet someone that you feel you have always known. We had much to share, our Christian faith, our stories, our homes, and nearly two hours galloped by before the coach had to leave. I have been in touch with Brenda since the beginning of my blog writing life, in about 2008, and it was such a privilege to meet her.



She graciously brought, all the way from Canada, some delightful gifts...a bottle of real Maple syrup, some Saskatoon berry jam and other lovely things. It was almost like being back in Canada for a moment!
Thank you Brenda for being so sweet, it was such a pleasure to spend time with you.

17 comments:

Angela said...

How lovely that you could meet up like that. You both look so well and happy too! Somehow it's extra wonderful to meet a blogfriend in person isn't it? An added blessing x x

ellen b. said...

How very nice. I love meeting bloggy friends. Glad the timing was right!

ann said...

So very special to meet a blog friend. We feel like we already know each other, but to meet, to greet, to hug, to actually carry on a conversation is a so special. Marvelous.

Alex said...

Glad you had a great time with Brenda ~ its a lovely picture of the two of you.
The cafe and mine will be on my 'to visit' list, should we be going down your way, as would you, dear Barbara (if you had a moment in your schedule :))
The Cornish blue of the sea..ahh, heavenly.

Elizabethd said...

It would be lovely to meet, Alex.

bayou said...

Oh joy! Brenda must feel privileged to have been able to meet you (that's how I felt ever since). This is one of the reasons why I continue blogging, blogland gives just more 'added values'.

Mary said...

So glad you two were able to meet at long last - know it was a fun time.
Like you, I think I'd stay far above the mine - watching Poldark put me off going down!

Hugs- Mary

Cheryl said...

This is just wonderful! God has blessed me to meet two live blogging friends, and oh, it was such a precious experience! So happy you and Brenda got to meet and spend time together. Sending you love from the USA!

Cheryl said...

Oh, I know that it is thrilling to meet a blog friend, and to continue in person the connection that you share online!! So happy for both of you lovely ladies to have had this opportunity!

Elderberry-Rob said...

That's a lovely picture of you with Brenda. I am sure Brenda loved meeting you and seeing a corner of Cornwall with a likeminded soul would have made her trip to the UK all the more exciting. Betty

Anonymous said...

How exciting to be able to meet a blog friend!
So happy you enjoyed your time together. ♥

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Happy for you. Meeting a real life blogger is fun! Brenda is a sweetie. May your friendship blossom.

bristowmom said...

How fun for both of you!

Sarah said...

What a lovely time for both of you! And a blessing that you were able to meet. I enjoyed seeing the photos!

Lorrie said...

How wonderful to spend a few hours with a blogging friend. I know I'd rather chat and have tea than go down into a mine!

Sara said...

Isn't it a lovely thing to meet at last face to face a fellow blogger whom you've gotten to know over the years? I have been able to do that too, and it has always been a comfortable experience, like meeting a friend you've known for quite a while. That's a great photo of the two of you.

Curtains in My Tree said...

How nice was that ? I just love meeting bloggers who we have so much in common with
nice photograph also

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...