The sun came out today.
We packed a picnic and headed to Falmouth, to Pendennis Point to be exact.
Here is one of Henry V111's fortified castles, opposite St Mawes which has a similar castle.
Right at the tip of the point is a car park where you can look over the water, watch shipping, or if agile take a hike around the cliff paths. We didn't do that.
I suppose, with the Summer we are having, we should not have been surprised that the rain came down just after we found a spot overlooking the bay.
Looking down over the cliff one can see some of the old gun emplacements built in WW2 to defend the shores from Torpedo fire, and remains of walling.
In between the showers I managed to take a few shots of the area.
We wondered what the two tugs were doing as they steamed purposefully out of the Falmouth Dock area.
Then realised that the big tanker which had seemed to be stationary was in need of help or direction.
The two tugs, like little puppies nipping at the heels of a bigger dog, busily shepherded the boat, met by a third tug, and stayed with it till it was safely in the dock area.
The weather wasn't so good.
The rugs we had taken in case of a walk were not used.
But the picnic was enjoyable and gave us something interesting to chat about.
For further information on Pendennis castle, click here.

22 comments:
How beautiful! I'm glad you had a nice picnic!
Sounds like you had a lovely time. Beautiful photos!
Enjoy your weekend ♥
Hi Elizabeth! What a wonderful day even if the weather wasn't great. What history. I would love to visit there someday. Sending love and prayers...always.
Lovely that you both got out in the fresh air, I know it takes a lot of organising for you to do things like this so hope it was restful for you too. You certainly do live in a lovely part of the country.
Hi sweet friend! I feel as thought I have visited in ages...how are you?
Your photos were simply lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this beautiful place. Hugs to you!
Such gorgeous photographs, Elizabeth! Thank you for sharing them with us.
Looks like a great destination. Glad you had something to talk about with a nice picnic!
I enjoyed seeing Falmouth views, I don't recall it well as I was very young when I visited.
Sorry your picnic was rained on - but I bet it still tasted yummy!
Hugs - Mary
So glad you were able to get out together. It looks like a lovely spot despite the rain.
Hello Elizabeth,
This looks like a good day out, despite the rain. Thanks for sharing & have a good Sunday!
Love, Carolien
Its always worth the effort to get out and about...new sights scents and sounds...even if the rain caught you out! It was probably dry on the other coast knowing the contrary Cornish weather!
Pendennis is really impressive. I had not been there, though.
I have, now! Thank you!
Lovely photos! I am sorry it wasn't a gorgeous day but at least your enjoyed your picnic.
Such beauty .... thank you sweet lady for sharing it with me :o) mari
Good on you for grabbing the chance of a day out and not being put off when the rain came. It's many years since I walked the coastal footpath to Pendennis, but I did go and see St.Mawes and Swanpool while I camped at Veryan recently. A beautiful area and it's lovely to see your photos.
Oh Elizabeth, sorry about those showers, but still...what a fantastic place to visit. I am sitting over here in NYC just contemplating the history that has taken place on this site.
We are still such a young country, and often seem to act like adolescents. Tomorrow, July 4, is a day to celebrate our independence from England, but also a day to count our blessings.
xo
What a wonderful view in that first photo. I hope you enjoyed your day out in spite of the rain. We are in Paris and the weather has been cool, windy, and a bit drizzly. But it's all still beautiful. I do hope the rain stops when we get to the UK, but in any case, we'll make up our minds to have a great time.
Dear Elizabeth, what a stunning spot! Those are the kind of views we seek out when travelling. Vast expanses of hills and water views are so soothing. Thankyou for sharing. Love, Mimi xxx
What an interesting spot--stunning, too. And Henry VIII legacy continues. Despite the rain, it must have been a lovely day in a perfect spot.
What an incredible spot for a picnic! And the rain always seems to show up at not so great times, but your pictures turned out great nonetheless, and how awesome that you got to watch the tugboats in action! :)
What beautiful pictures!
Sandra xxx
Wow! That's an incredible place and what a view.
Your picnic sounded wonderful even with the weather.
Lovely to visit with you~~
What a beautiful view! The father of my boyfriend in high school was a tugboat captain and they often had quite a job, getting those freighters in to port. I'm glad you had a chance to get away for a picnic.
Post a Comment