Yesterday we went to the Mobility Centre and bought a new wheelchair.
This may not seem like the most exciting news, but it is going to make a big difference to me.
The one my husband has is a very good one supplied by our Occupational therapist via Social services. It is also the heaviest thing to pick up.
As I keep it in the back of my car to use when we go out, I have to load and unload it, and my back was beginning to suffer. I discovered that it weighed
15.2 kilos.
We did a lot of research, discussed it with another wheelchair user and went off to the Centre. Where we were shown a lightweight chair, coming in at 10 kilos. I couldn't believe the difference in handling it. Not only is it so much easier to get in and out of the car, it is much more comfortable to push and manoeuvre around.
So, wheelchair Olympics next?

20 comments:
Yay! I'm glad you are looking after your back!
What a blessing to get the new chair, Elizabeth! So glad you were able to find one that will be easier and safer for you to be lifting.
What great news for you. My mother's wheel chair is also quite heavy and I have a hard time getting it into the car. I've been on the look out for a lighter weight chair. I'm glad you were able to find something like this.
So glad you were able to find a lighter chair. :-)
I am so pleased for you both, this is such an important thing to get right, mobility is everything.
Those wheelchairs are definitely heavy so I'm glad you found a solution!
I am so glad you have made this decision and purchase! I am sure that your M is happy that you have made things a little easier for yourself too. I am having shoulder issues and have had 4 massages in the last while - stress and wheelchair maneuvering are to blame. Good for you!
Yay! Glad you have a lighter chair to hoist!
Excellent! It's so important to care for yourself so that you continue to care for your dear husband. I'm glad the lighter and easier to manage wheelchair was available.
Elizabeth, via the experience of some NYC friends, I can well appreciate what a difference this new chair will make. My friends live four flights of stairs up on the top floor of an old building. She requires a wheelchair, but can usually manage the stairs. He needs to carry the wheelchair down to street level for any movements around their neighborhood.
xo
That sounds like a great improvement, Elizabeth! I am glad that it was available and that you made the change! That is exciting news!
I am so glad you were able to find something that will work, sweet friend. I had to giggle at the photo that you said wasn't your husband :)
Love and hugs!
That will make life so much easier all around :)
Diana
I've recently noticed the design of wheelchairs has changed dramatically- at least in the U.S. They look less cumbersome and more maneuverable. Glad to hear you found a better model!
Hello Elizabeth,
I'm so glad you found this alternative! Happy riding together and have a nice weekend!
Love, Carolien
Barbara...I know how important it is to have a chair that we are able to lift to and from the car. We are in the process of acquiring a new one for my daughter...so yes, it is a joyful moment indeed! :0) mari
That sounds like wonderful news, I can't imagine having to lift a heavy chair in and out of your vehicle all the time.
Thanks for dropping in on my blog, I love your hay story.
That sounds like wonderful news, I can't imagine having to lift a heavy chair in and out of your vehicle all the time.
Thanks for dropping in on my blog, I love your hay story.
Oh, dear friend! I am SO thankful the Lord worked this out for you. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to lift the other one in and out. My heart goes out to you...so thankful God lightened your load a bit. Praying for you and so appreciate your kind comment left on my blog this morning.
That is a big deal Elizabeth! I can relate. I am so glad it worked out.
I moved my blog to WordPress and changed the name to: www.chasingthenextchapter.com
I hope you visit when you have a chance. Steep learning curve for sure.
XOXO to both of you.
Post a Comment