Wednesday, 21 September 2016

The Victoria plum.

-
This is what we hoped for when we planted a Patio Victoria plum tree last year.
Nurtured, watered, fed, talked to.
Dreams of plum tarts, crumbles, puddings.....

This is the sum total of our efforts.
One solitary plum.
Needless to say it has been cossetted within an inch of its life.
Now it is ready to eat.

Micro-Mini plum crumble?


The following poem waas suggested by Angela, of Tracing Rainbows.
Thanks Ang, I couldn't resist adding it!

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

16 comments:

Angela said...

Oh dear. It's usually like that in MY garden, not yours! Console yourself by looking up the plum poem called 'this is just to say' by William Carlos Williams. Love and blessings x


magnoliasntea said...

Your plum is a beauty, especially so since it's a solitany one. Our trees took sooo long to produce fruit.
Have a great week!

ann said...

We don't eat plums much. Perhaps we should plant this tree because the plum looks really good. We had the same possessiveness over the apricots that just before they were fully ripe got hailed then the birds pecked them. I am sure that the Victoria will be more productive as it matures. Great poem.

Melanie said...

A very pretty plum. Enjoy it, whatever you decide. Hopefully, you'll get more than one next year.

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious Barbara :-o) fruit trees are a bit difficult I find...my apple tree has only given me one apple in two years :o/

Frances said...

Elizabeth, I liked your tribute to Victoria Plums, those of the dream and those of the reality. Do enjoy that tiny crumble! xo

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you didn't get more than just 1. Maybe it will be better next year. That happened to an heirloom tomato plant I planted ~ just 1. :-( Well, enjoy your one!

ellen b. said...

Smiling here. Such a great photo contrast of a dream and the reality. Love the poem, too.

Elderberry-Rob said...

No doubt it will make up for its shortfall in years to come :D

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh boy! I do think it takes a while for the tree to mature enough to produce the fruit harvest you hope for - I think it can be up to 5 years, but of course I am not familiar with the variety of plum tree that you have. Enjoy your plum... at least you got one! :) Cute poem too!

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

I had to laugh when I saw that solitary plum. Hopefully you'll have better results next year. Micro-Mini plum crumble? You'd have to use a very tiny spoon to enjoy every bite lol. Enjoy!!

Cheryl said...

Not exactly a bumper crop. Maybe next year! :)
Love the poem!!

Mimi said...

Oh dear Elizabeth. The joys of growing your own fruit! I hear you. Two cumquats, 3 mulberries, 2 figs and one orange for us last year. This year, we shall see! Mimi xxx

Lorrie said...

Your solitary plum makes me smile. I remember growing our first raspberries - we had 5 of them. I placed one each on 5 china plates and presented them as dessert to the family! We all laughed so much. Perhaps next year will be a bumper crop!

Terri said...

Sounds like almost all of my gardening efforts. lol Enjoy that plum, and enjoy your time away. :-)

Mrs A. said...

It is a lovely colour and the size is right so it's a good start for what is to come. Hugs Mrs A.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...