Friday, 2 December 2016

Decorating, a beginning.

I have recently woken up to the fact that everyone but me is doing amazing things with decorating for Christmas. I guess it's because decorating was always something that was never done before mid-December when I was growing up.
I have started with my blog background. Does that count as decorating?
Last weekend, the first of Advent, I did get out my Advent candle ring. We bought this in Liberty's many many years ago, and although it's a bit battered, it comes out every year with new candles.

Christmas cards have started arriving, three so far, but there will be many more.

And although it isn't strictly speaking, decorating, I made a dozen mince pies this morning.
Oddly, there seem to be only eleven?

I am hosting a wreath making morning for a couple of friends next week. So decorating is slowly getting under way.
I so admire the lovely decorated rooms on many beautiful blogs.

17 comments:

Phoebes World said...

I have just started my decorating this week...a bit early...but again inspired by others lovely homes. Back in Wales when the children were growing up..I always did the decorating the first weekend in December so the house would look festive for them when they came home from school after practicing their Christmas stuff. What I do miss tho is mince pies...they dont seem to do them here in California....so you Dear Lady... have inspired me to make some this week. Thank you
Phoebe x

Visits With Mary said...

I love mince pies and I would love to come to your wreath making class.....and I love your Christmas background!! AND...I loved visiting with you this morning! Have a great day.

Mary said...

Don't feel bad dear, you are way ahead to me! Actually I won't be doing hardly a thing, other than display any cards arriving before we leave for Europe this time next weekend! Just no point as we don't return until the New Year.

Those mince pies look perfect - wish it had been me pinching #12! Love the Advent ring, and this is such a pretty holiday inspired background for your blog.

Stay well, and may you both enjoy a peaceful and blessed Christmas.
Hugs - Mary

ellen b. said...

Your blog background is very festive for sure. I am starting slow here. I think I'll kick into full speed ahead next Wednesday! Those mince pies look delicious.

txcatlover said...

I think we Americans have led the way of pushing the season and believe it creates self-imposed pressure to "keep up." I don't like to see our Thanksgiving run over by early Christmas things, but to each his own. I love your blog and love Cornwall.

Melanie said...

I think your blog background is a lovely way to begin decorating! My decorating is pretty simple this year. I stopped long ago trying to keep up with other people on this. I'm sure your decorating will be amazing.

Cheryl said...

Slow and steady is the way to go! I am a slow person in general, but with the help of my girls, we managed to do our decorating last weekend! We have a lot on the calendar in the next couple of weeks, so I felt the need to get it done early and be able to enjoy it while coming and going.

Only eleven? ;)

Happy decorating!!

Mrs A. said...

I love your festive looking blog background. The only decoration i have up at present is an advent village of houses that I made a few years ago. Hugs Mrs A.

magnoliasntea said...

Oh my, you have done a lot more than I have! Love your wintry background. I've strung some lights over a mirror, lol.
Have a great weekend!

Carolien said...

Hello Elizabeth,

I'm happy to see you are 'building things up' during Advent, things are slowly getting more 'Christmassy' here too. That's the fun, don't you think? Bit by bit ... Like your background of this blog too. And guess what? Now that we're back from church and a lunch in Doesburg, I'm going to find out what the Christmas bauble of today will bring me ;) Love it!

Happy Sunday, dear Elizabeth!

Alex said...

I have done nothing so far! It seems still early in the season to me.I like your spirally candles, and the mince pies look so good.
I made a wreath at my floristry course at Rosewarne college, Camborne once, we did it on a moss base. Would love to have joined in your wreath making party!
Now havng read your post, I feel just a little bit festive! :)

Lorrie said...

Your blog background is very pretty and a great place to begin. I puttered away on decorating this weekend - hung a wreath on the door, arranged the mantel and set out the angel collection. I'm deliberately trying to slow it all down this year. Sometimes I wonder if blogging doesn't make us all do things faster because we feel behind if someone else puts theirs up and shows it.
Now I wonder where that 12th mince pie could be????

Rambler said...

What a pretty background! Yes, you've started decorating now; mine is in the hands of others this year because I am due to go into hospital on the 13th (!!) for a replacement knee operation. I have finished the present-buying for Christmas and little granddaughter's birthday on 23rd December, though it is all still to be wrapped; bought cards but they are yet to be written and I have a Secret Santa painting to do. I feel like the White Rabbit, dashing around with my head spinning! And my blog . . . oh dear, my poor blog is sadly neglected.

Elderberry-Rob said...

sounds like fun making wreath's together. I think less is more, your advent ring is special. We have a tree decorated by my neighbours three year old to perfection, a few pictures and that's all.

Kathleen Grace said...

Elizabeth, you're back! How long has this been going on without me knowing? Now I have to catch up. I love your advent wreath. I have wanted one for years but they are ridiculously hard to find and so far I haven't liked the looks of any of them. Love your background too. So glad to see you again!

Angela said...

Oh how did I miss this post? I love the blog header and layout. You are way ahead of me on decorating your home and posting your cards and everything. I seem to be running hither and thither making Nativity costumes, doing readings in Carol services and decorating the church and organising the Christmas Fayre... I want an afternoon to make my home lovely...

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Those mince pies look so good! Perhaps you could share your recipe sometime... I won't provide any guesses as to where the 12th pie went, lol! I love the new look of your blog! Have fun at your wreath making with the ladies!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...