Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Going towards a new year.

What a good thing that we can't look forward to see what the next year will bring. 2016 has had ups and downs for us, and for many others. We hope and pray that 2017 will be a peaceful one.

Decorations are still waiting to be taken down, but one of my plans for this coming year is to find some more reading time. 


Ebooks are fine, but I was given a selection of 'real' books as a gift and love the feel of holding a book in my hands rather than an e-reader.

One of the books was
'The dog who dared to dream' by a Korean author named Sun-Mi Hwang.


I found this an unusual book, centred round the short hard life of a dog called Scraggy. She lives with her owner, and assorted hens, cats etc. It isn't a comfortable tale. Her little life is full of sadness, her puppies are taken from her, her dreams are unfulfilled. I wanted so much more for her, but it wasn't to be.

I wonder if anyone else has read this?

I have a choice of different genres to work through now with my gift books, so I'm enjoying the thought of a few quiet days after the bustle of Christmas.
I'm going to be a hedgehog, wrapped in a quilt and hibernating with my pile of books. And coffee.

19 comments:

Angela said...

Like you I am praying 2017 will be less... turbulent. And yes, real books are special. Enjoy your reading time. Happy New Year to you both x

Carolien said...

What a wonderful idea, being a hedgehog for some time. Happy reading time! I have never heard of this book but it sounds interesting. I still have a book token, mmm good idea, thank you!
Have a very good, happy and healthy 2017, dear Elizabeth!
Hugs and love, Carolien

Pom Pom said...

I have a different book by that author.
Yes, a peaceful and joyful 2017!

Lorrie said...

Reading in the winter months is such a comforting thing to do while storms rage outside.
Happy New Year, B.

ellen b. said...

That sounds so good...being a hedgehog with a quilt and a pile of books. Blessings.

Debbie Harris said...

Your desire to hibernate wrapped up in a quilt sounds like a peaceful way to enter into the New Year.
May this year bring with it the joy of the Lord.
I've enjoyed following along with you and look forward to what the New Year has ahead.
Joy! Debbie

Debbie Harris said...

Your desire to hibernate wrapped up in a quilt sounds like a peaceful way to enter into the New Year.
May this year bring with it the joy of the Lord.
I've enjoyed following along with you and look forward to what the New Year has ahead.
Joy! Debbie

Lynn said...

I too am hibernating. Thank you for the lovely card. With all good wishes.
L.x.

Melanie said...

I have an e-reader as well but much prefer to hold the book in my hand. Your sad tale sounds like one I don't think I could read right now. I've not heard of the book. I think a book and a quilt is a perfect combination! Have a restful, relaxing day.

Frances said...

Like you, Elizabeth, I love the experience of reading a true, printed book. I like the paper, the typeface, the weight of the book, everything about that experience is sort of a ceremony that has delighted me since I began to read at age 5, long ago.

This in-between week has a special feel. Lots of time for contemplation.

Sending you and yours a very Happy New Year. xo

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I am visiting your blog today from Melanie's blog and wishing you a very Happy New Year.
A good book and a snuggle in a quilt sounds like a perfect way to pass the cold winter days.
..........Linda

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I do hope you'll have a peaceful year for 2017. But a plaid, a good book and a coffee seem like the prefect plan for the last days of 2016.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

A big bagful of books...YAY...some from library sale, some from thrift store, a few e-books on sale...life is GOOD! I expect 2017 to be good as well...very, very good because I've decided to see it thataway. If the news upsets me, it'll be turned off. Sloughing off the undesirable, welcoming the cozy and comfortable, taking care of me and family...my priorities are on what's important...food, shelter, clothing. Volunteer work is knitting hats for shelter, baking shortbread for folks who help me. Yep. 2017 is going to be very, very good.

Anonymous said...

I pray dear lady, that next year will be filled with much peace. Enjoy your books ...

Visits With Mary said...

I have a nook reader and it's great...but I still prefer a book in my hand and paper pages to turn. Happy New Year

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for visiting my new blog. I have added a new widget on the right sidebar where you may "subscribe via email" if you like to keep updated when posts are written. Happy New Year!

Cheryl said...

I love the picture of the hedgehog wrapped in a quilt, reading to her heart's content. Delightful!

Happy New Year to you! I agree with you that it is good that we are not able to see into the future. Better to take one step at a time...by His grace...

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

Wishing you the best for 2017! Books are wonderful, aren't they? I rarely buy books anymore but I absolutely love getting a new one or looking at all the beautiful books in a book store.

Happy New Year, Kelly.

Barbara said...

Hello Barbara. Nice to see your comment on my blog. Missed you thinking you were no longer posting. Wishing you a happy and blessed year ahead. Barbara

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...