The Little Paris Bookshop
by Nina George, translated by Simon Pare
Published by Abacus.
I was given this book as a Christmas present, and thought at first that it was one of the many light hearted novels about France. There seem to be many of them at the moment.
However, this is different.
Translated from the German, it is beautifully written by Nina George, who has given us characters who are delightfully different.
M.Jean Perdu owns a barge on the Seine. He runs a bookshop from it, which he terms a 'literary apothecary', as he uses his gift for sensing which books will suit his sometimes troubled customers.
He has within himself a deep sadness, reaching back many years when his loved one left him, leaving him a letter which he has never opened. He has tucked his sadness and his memories away for twenty years, but all changes when he meets a new neighbour, who has his own problems.
Jean takes a sudden decision, unfastens the mooring ropes and, with his neighbour, sets off through the canals of France to Provence, to discover what happened to his beloved.
I loved the book, loved the descriptions of the canals, of trials and errors in going through locks, of setting out without a sou between them, of the people they met, one of whom was to become a very important part of Jean's life.
There is friendship, love, loss, poignancy, and needless to say, wonderful food all contained in this delightful journey.
I can't wait to read the next book , set in my lovely Brittany.
*******
Small excerpt from The Little Paris Bookshop;
Having just refused to sell a customer a particular book .....
Perdu handed her The Elegance of the Hedgehog and spoke in a tender and calm voice.
"You need your own room. Not too bright, with a kitten to keep you company. And this book, which you will please read slowly, so that you can take the occasional break. You'll do a lot of thinking, and probably a bit of crying. For yourself. For the years. But you'll feel better afterwards. You'll know that now you don't have to die, even if that's how it feels because the guy didn't treat you well. And you will like yourself again."
The customer stared at him. He knew from her shocked look that he had hit the target and got through to her.

19 comments:
I was looking at this in the bookstore yesterday ... it drew me to itself. I did not buy, but now I've got it on my list. Oh thank you for sharing your experience with this book. B xox
Oh, I just see there's another book set in Brittany. Lovely! I loved following your blog when you were there.
I have wanted to read this book for awhile now! Thank you for taking the time to blog about this...another book to look forward to! Have a cozy day!
Thank you for the review. This sounds like just the sort of book that would keep my attention all the way through. I shall look for it!
Elizabeth, thanks so much for this recommendation. I am adding The Little Paris Bookshop to my list. (Currently reading Bruce Springsteen's autobiography.) xo
I really like the cover and being visual it would draw me in.
It sounds a good read. Thank you for the pattern which arrived today!
I have read this book and loved it!
found you via Sara's blog today! lovely to meet you here! I hope to come again! God bless!! (oh and I love Elizabeth Goudge too!)
Good morning Barbara,
That sounds like a marvelous book!
Have a good day! xxx Carolien
Am loving the sound of this
Sounds like a very enjoyable read. Aren't you often sad when a good story ends?
A great review, the book sounds like a worthwhile read! :)
This book is on my list to read, too. How lovely to read your impressions of it. And how fun that the bookseller recommended The Elegance of the Hedgehog, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I have just ordered the Hedgehog!
it's a lovely theme, would make a good film (if it hasn't already!). I only seem to have time to read books on holiday but this is one that I would put on my list. Thanks for the review.
This sounds like a good book to read, thank you for sharing with us.
It's always nice when someone shares their thoughts on a book or a movie.
Have a terrific week!
This sounds like a good book to read, thank you for sharing with us.
It's always nice when someone shares their thoughts on a book or a movie.
Have a terrific week!
It sounds delightful! I'm going to see if this book is available here. Blessings!
Post a Comment