Thursday, 23 February 2017

One more bus.....


Just one last silly bus slogan,


Well, maybe two, as this photo shows yet another mangling of the English language.
Fortunately there was a translation with this one.
"Flam-new girt lickers" means
'Brand new large object'.

Well, you knew that didn't you?

Now that I don't drive the bus route to and from the hospital, I see very few buses. But here's one that I saved. It reads;

Buses to Penzance every 30 minutes.
--thass ansome.

Another day I will tell you more about the Cornish dialect.




14 comments:

Angela said...

What must visitors from abroad make of those slogans??!! I do remember that the male hero of Lorna Doone was "Girt Jan Ridd" [Big John Ridd] but that's set in Exmoor in Devon, not Cornwall.

elizabeth said...

very fun! I am hoping that the fact that you don't drive the bus route to the hospital means that your husband is still home and recovering to better health!

Carolien said...

I look forward to that, it looks like a funny dialect to me ;)

Have a good weekend together!
Love, Carolien

Anonymous said...

Wow - I would never have guessed that!

Pondside said...

Well, that's a language/dialect that is totally new to me!! I am sure that it causes a lot of laughter!

Lorrie said...

I can't really make heads or tails out of that dialect. I look forward to the explanation!

Elderberry-Rob said...

such fun, the dialect is interesting.

Pom Pom said...

Wow! It would confuse me completely if I visited Cornwall! Thank you for the translations!

Anonymous said...

Nope, didn't know the first one. :)
--thass ansome = that's lovely ( maybe?):-)
Have a nice weekend!♥

ellen b. said...

I would be scratching my head for sure.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Wrinkling my nose and wondering...

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

My answer to the first would definitely have been 'huh?' xx

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Is that English? Lol... Thank you for your interpretation! I know you must be so thankful to not have to be out driving so much. Hope your husband is doing better, and that your garden is continuing to show off springtime :)

Kathleen Grace said...

Is that a different language? I would have had no idea what it meant!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...