Sunday, 9 July 2017

Agapanthus.


Agapanthus (and pink wheelbarrow)
These lovely statuesque flowers originate from South Africa, and are sometimes known as the African Lily.
They can be a bit fussy, and if moved will sometimes refuse to bloom for a couple of years. Mine seem to be happy now, but it took two years after moving for them to produce flowers.

It's such a pure blue.

Today we have cooler weather after a few days of intense heat, so it has been an opportunity to do a bit of weeding and tidying up in the garden.
Soon it will be Tomato picking time.
It's a bit of a jungle in the greenhouse, but I think there are going to be plenty of fruit this year.

Coulis, passata, sauce, roast tomatoes.... endless possibilities.

18 comments:

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Wow that's a good crop xx

Pom Pom said...

Lovely flowers!

Angela said...

Always so impressed by your fabulous tomato crop. The flowers are beautiful too

Lorrie said...

Your tomatoes are way ahead of mine! Such riches to anticipate. The agapanthus is my favourite shade of blue.

doodles n daydreams said...

I have miniature agapanthus which have not flowered much as yet, maybe this coming summer. Yours are a beautiful colour.

Diana

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

My mom had agapanthus in our garden when I was growing up. I thought they were so pretty, and the bees loved them, but they were right by the walk way and that always made me nervous to go past them with the bees enjoying the flowers!

I am getting your tea towel in the post today!

Terri said...

Beautiful flowers! Your tomato crop looks fantastic. Oh, the food possibilities!

Carolien said...

My agapanthus is very shy this year, so I guess it's because I moved him into a bigger pot ... They're beautiful!
Nothing better than harvesting your own tomatoes, they taste so much better!

Love, Carolien

Kathleen Grace said...

Your garden looks glorious! Agapanthus are so pretty, I don't think they would grow here but I love seeing yours :) I hope you are having a wonderful summer.

ellen b. said...

Look at those tomatoes! Wow. I think we grew Agapanthus in our yard in Huntington Beach back in the late 70's.

Joy said...

For all the heat you have had, you certainly have a bountiful flower garden. We have intense heat here in the Plains states in the U.S. and I quickly run outside to give the suffering flowers and young trees a big drink of water! (and then right back into the house!)

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, what gorgeous flowers! I love that shade of blue.

Anonymous said...

Oh Barbara...they are just beautiful! and so are the tomatoes...ours have not done too well this year :/ too much rain... mari

Dianna said...

The African Lily is beautiful! The color is so pretty and I love the way there are so many bloom on one stem! Your tomatoes look wonderful. We do a lot of tomatoes here, as well. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment for me.

Tina said...

Beautiful! Enjoy those tomatoes, ours are still tiny and green! Xxx

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Your agapanthus is lovely! I'm away from Cottage for a week and I'm in a little holiday cottage that is far from perfect, but has lovely agapanthus!

Anonymous said...

I have long admired these beautiful plants but have never owned one. Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures. Oh, I know those fresh tomatoes will be delicious. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a beautiful lily! It looks very happy now where you have planted it, and I love the pure blue color of it, so amazing! And your greenhouse tomatoes look wonderful, what an exciting thing to have such a bountiful crop :)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...