Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Coverack

I don't often write twice in one week, but would ask for your prayers for the people of Coverack, a little coastal village not that far away from our home near Truro.

Yesterday storms hit and a flash flood tore through the village, leaving shops and homes wrecked beyond all hope. The access roads were torn up, rocks came cascading down the roads, cars were swept away, and one family had to be airlifted from their home.



Sadly  it is the beginning of the tourist season in Cornwall, and many bookings may not be possible to honour.
The folk of Coverack are pulling together to try to find some normality, as are the Council teams. Clearing up is going on all the time, but huge machinery will be needed to remove the rocks that have swept down.
This was once a road.
We have friends in the village, who didn't suffer too badly. They lost their oil tank and their garden was ruined.
Thankfully no lives have been lost, but I feel for people who are unable to be in their own homes, borrowing clothing and accommodation from friends and family.

In a peaceful little holiday village we don't expect or want this sort of terror.

16 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Oh that's awful! Those photos show the destruction so well. Prayers being said for all the issues. Thankful for lives spared!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh dear, that is very sad news. Will say a prayer for these dear people.

Bren xox

Anonymous said...

Prayers being said and thankful no lives were lost. ♡

elizabeth said...

oh dear! how sudden and difficult for all who live there! Lord have mercy!!! Will light a candle!!! (so glad I can do that again!)... Lord provide and pour our mercy!!!

Cheryl said...

A sad reminder of how quickly life can change. Praying for those affected . . .

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh my goodness, the destruction is immense, so hard to believe water can do so much damage! Will pray for the people of this little town who now have to cleanup after the destruction of the storm, and try to put their lives back together!

Angela said...

Praying for those affected, grateful no lives lost. Thank you for the reminder - I do hope those who were planning holiday trips will be understanding and generous

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing and I certainly will pray for all those suffering. God bless you today.

Elderberry-Rob said...

that's a sad situation, hope those affected will soon be back to normal and that their homes and roads can be restored. Betty

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Thank you for visiting my blog today and I hope we can become friends here. Such a sad event that happened close by and prayers for those affected. I follow several blogs by email, and if you choose to follow mine that way, it would be great. If so, please use leller3@epbfi.com. Thanks and have a good day.

Lorrie said...

I read about Coverack's flooding and thought of the people there who have lost so many things. I pray for calm and for the restoration work to be effective. As you know, many in our province are suffering from losses from fire, not floods, but the result, in many cases, is similar.

ellen b. said...

Oh no...so sorry to read this and see the images. What a devastating event. Sending up a prayer for comfort and courage to move forward.

Dianna said...

Oh Elizabeth, I am so sorry to learn of this sad event. I will add the people of Coverack to my prayer list. Please keep us posted how things are going there.

Daisy Debs said...

So sorry for Coverack , yes in our prayers too .

Kathleen Grace said...

How awful! I will be praying!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

We had severe storms here as well last week, but nothing close to that. It's a relief your friends are safe.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...