Tuesday, 5 September 2017

The last of Summer


Little of colour is left in the garden now. A few days of strong winds and torrential rain have wiped out the last Summer blooms.

Just a few heads of my Gertrude Jekyll rose. The scent is unbelievable.

A Clematis has surprised me with late flowers.
There's a Gladiolus in front about to flower.

One last Dahlia. Her name is Roxy and she has been in a large pot all Summer, flowering so well. 

The Monarda, bee balm, has been covered with bees. Even though it is nearly over there are still furry bodies buzzing around it.

In the Greenhouse my Dianthus cuttings seem to be rooting. It was time to dig up the old plants as they had become very woody.

Last but not at all least, the tiny stems of Sweet peas still giving out a glorious perfume.

Soon it will be time for Autumn cutting back and maybe a bit of Bulb planting. Summer is over.

Many thanks for all your kind and encouraging comments and messages. After three weeks on strong antibiotics I am much better and working carefully on my energy levels!

17 comments:

elizabeth said...

I am so glad you are on the mend! beautiful flowers!

Elderberry-Rob said...

sweet peas! no chance of that here, we have Autumn full on although my nasturtiums are hanging on to bushes where they climbed as though in some escape attempt - my neighbours side is getting their full glory as they escape over the fence(seen when cat sitting!)

Simple Living said...

Hello Elizabeth, I still have sweet peas, and several dahlias, everything is slowy fading and there are lots of bear patches, must think about the bulbs soon I guess x

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

There is still a few lovely blooms in your garden, so I guess the bees are trying for what they can get! Your roses are lovely, and those sweet peas too. Each season has its own beauty. I love the later autumn when the garden is all cut back and its at rest, as much as I love the spring and summer growing seasons.

Glad your well.

Cheryl said...

These lingering blooms are so lovely, a late summer (or early autumn) treat!
Glad that you are continuing to improve!

Lorrie said...

The last blooms of summer are appreciated so much. Glad your garden is continuing to provide bits of colour. The roses are such beautiful shades of pink.
So glad you are feeling better and gaining energy.

Carolien said...

Good to hear that you are feeling better!
The flowers are beautiful, I bet we cherish them all before autumn sets in drastically ...
Have a nice day!

Terri said...

I'm glad you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

So glad to read that you are doing much better dear lady :0) please take your time and do listen to what the body is saying :D
blessings,
mari

bayou said...

Hello Barbara, so good to read that you are getting better. Just be careful now and take it easy. Can smell the scent of your wee sweet peas and Gertrude's as well :-). Just back from Wales and Bristol. What a journey! THAT house... - will send you a mail. Lots of love,Anke

Stephanie said...

Oh, I'm so happy that you're feeling better! I can imagine your beautiful flowers helped in the process {{smiles}} My oh my, what stunning roses.

Hugs to you!

ellen b. said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better and have some energy returning. Sweet peas really have a great name. My sister and I picked some wild ones on a walk we took when she visited in July. Hope you have a lovely rest of the week and weekend.

bristowmom said...

Ahh, you have such beautiful flowers. Glad to hear you're perking up!

Anonymous said...

Pretty flowers! I love that Gertrude Jekyll! :-)

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi! Visiting you from Connie's blog. You have some beautiful flowers! If you find the secret to more energy, let me know. I have fatigue from chronic Lyme disease and working on more energy! Nancy

Daisy Debs said...

Yes , Summer is over, but with your bulb planting ,you already have something to give you joy when comes the Spring ! :)

Pom Pom said...

Your flowers are still pretty! I should go out to the Peter Rabbit garden and snip the last of the sweet peas. They DO smell SO GOOD!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...