Monday, 18 December 2017

Christmas week.

This is a time when I go back in my memories of childhood Christmases.
This reminds me of the trees we had as children. Always live, usually cut from a local farm. Brought in with huge excitement.
Our decorations were mainly home made, little walnut half shells silvered and given a mast to represent a little boat, silver paper made into zig zag hangings, tiny toys hung on branches.
And yes, there were real candles (this long before health and safety rules!)

It was a lovely time of quiet expectation, of making family cards and presents, of hanging enormous fishermen's stockings, of writing letters to Father Christmas........ We went out to cut holly and greenery to place behind pictures and mirrors, not at all 'Country Living' but beautiful all the same

We never forgot that Christmas was a celebration of Jesus' birth. We might not have understood it in depth, but it was always there as a meaning for all that went on.


I may not be posting much over the week, but
I want to wish you all the happiest and healthiest of Christmases.
May joy be yours.

14 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Ah, your memories are so much like mine. So much Christmas was homemade and all of it was love-made. Thank you for this.

Elderberry-Rob said...

A very happy Christmas and 2018 to you and your hubby. Please let me know if you visit Brighton next year, it would be lovely to meet up again. X

Phoebes World said...

I have wonderful memories of Christmas growing up. We only ever had a real tree once.. and it was the year the water pipes burst due to extreme cold and flooded the living room. Floating pine needles is not a good memory. But still..mum and dad always made the house look wonderful.. a bit like Santas grotto..so who cares if the tree was real or not...lol
Have a wonderful Christmas Elizabeth...
Phoebe x

Sarah said...

Elizabeth,

Thank you for sharing these beautiful memories. May you and your husband have a blessed Christmas and joyous New Year!

-Sarah

Terri said...

Merry Christmas to you and your husband, Barbara! I hope it is a joyous one.

elizabeth said...

such good memories! may you be blessed this week! Merry Christmas! Christ is Born! Glorify Him!

Cheryl said...

Childhood Christmas memories are sweet! Merry, merry Christmas to you and yours!

Carolien said...

Oh yes, I remember the real candles too, they were the best.
Merry Christmas, dear Elizabeth, and may there be plenty of joy!

Love, Carolien

Anonymous said...

These are such lovely illustrations and I enjoyed reading your memories. Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a blessed new year.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a serene end of the year.

ellen b. said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and your dear family!

Cranberry Morning said...

I loved reading your reminiscences today. It's all about the birth of our King Jesus. God bless you now and in the coming year. Merry Christmas.

Connie said...

I loved walking down memory lane with you. My Mom spoke of real candles on their tree as well. It sounds so dangerous to me. I do remember those Christmas lights of the 50's that looked like candles and had bubbles of light going through them. We would sting popcorn and cranberries and make those paper garlands of rings of colored paper. Childhood memories are always in my heart at Christmas, too:)
Here's wishing you a Very Merry Christmas!
Your blogging sister,
Connie :)

Sandra said...

Beautiful. Happy New Year. Elizabethd

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...