Saturday, 24 February 2018

Sultana biscuits.


Biscuits?
Cookies?
It depends where you live, doesn't it? 
These are Sultana biscuits that I made this week, and they are easy and delicious.


I can't remember where the recipe came from, certainly not from my Grandma's book. They are so quick to make.

Recipe;
Sultana biscuits (Cookies)
4 oz butter
4 oz sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
8 oz flour
Pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sultanas.

Place first 5 ingredients in a saucepan and melt together slowly.
Add in flour, salt, vanilla essence and sultanas.
Mix well, then place teaspoonfuls rolled into balls on a cold ungreased baking tray.
Flatten gently with a fork and bake in a moderate oven , 350'F/180C for 10 to 15 minutes.
(For my friends in USA, Sultanas are a type of raisin, made from the white grapes)

They are delicious when cool. Slightly soft with a crunchy exterior.

Just a brief rider about Saffron cakes/buns etc.
This is a huge favourite in Cornwall, and I can remember going on Sunday School trips. The highlights were the Saffron buns known as Tea Treat buns.


The Saffron Crocus is grown in Europe, but also in Cornwall in a small way.


This is the crocus with its long red stamens...one of the most expensive spices in the world!

I still haven't found the recipe in Grandma's book.

13 comments:

KirstenM said...

Have a browse through www.recipesfromacornishkitchen.blogspot.com
It's a site created by a truly Cornish friend of our family, who has a well-founded reputation as a fantastic cook!
There is a search box at the top left corner of the web version; you'll find tea treat buns and more if you enter 'saffron'.
Happy baking!

Lorrie said...

Biscuits - cookies - your sultana variety look delicious no matter the name!
I've thought about growing saffron crocuses here, perhaps when I retire. I hope you find your recipe.

Dianna said...

These sound so good! I will definitely be giving these a try this coming week! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

bristowmom said...

The biscuits look lovely.lov you know if sultanas are what we call dates in America?

Cheryl said...

I had to do a quick google search to learn about sultanas. :)

Your cookies look yummy!

Carolien said...

Mmmmm, your cookies look great! I think I want to bake a cake right now however, have things in the house for an orange cake. Yes, that will be a nice surprise for the girls today ... I'll try the cookies later, thank you for the recipe!

Have a good Sunday & love, Carolien

Elizabethd said...

Sultanas are a sort of soft raisin.

Roberta said...

Hello,
I came from Stephanie's blog!
I love "biscotti" !!!
I'll follow your blog,
Have a nice week,
Roberta,
La Sportina

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

The cookies look delicious, now I have a craving for them lol. Although not in your Grandma's cookbook, I bet there are many amazing recipes in there. It sounds like a treasure to hang on to. Thank you for stopping by my blog and your great suggestion on the quilt. Have a wonderful week.

bristowmom said...

Thank you! I might try your recipe but use dates, because I love dates.

ellen b. said...

I like quick and delicious. I'll have to see if World Market carries sultanas and golden syrup in their British aisle. Have a good week!

Angela said...

Those biscuits look delicious. We had a holiday in Cornwall nearly 30 years ago, and the lady we stayed with made Saffron Buns for our tea, and Cornish Thunder and Lightning Sandwiches. My daughters and I still reminisce about them!

Anne Payne said...

Your biscuits look wonderfully tasty! I'm not usually one to eat cooked raisins but I could make an exception for this 'cookie'. :-)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...