The snow has gone and the South West of England is back to normal, although there are still small villages in Devon and further North that have been virtually inaccessible up to yesterday.
Our garden is full of birds.
The Goldfinch are coming in groups of six and seven at a time. This photo, not mine, shows them on Niger seed but ours prefer sunflower seeds. I've just come back from the pet shop with a 6kg bag of sunflower hearts for my spoilt little pets!
We have seen Bullfinch pairs, a solitary Wagtail, Blackcaps, Blue Tits and Long tailed tits.
We are still hoping that the bird box might find a pair of bluetits nesting this year. Last year they looked, flew in and out, then decided that it wasn't quite right for them.
We could spend hours watching them all. It is a joy to have a garden where wildlife flourishes.
18 comments:
Oh how I envy you your goldfinches! They were the commonest bird in my old garden, largely because I spent a fortune on Niger seed but I've never seen one here. They are such pretty birds.
Hooray for lovely gold finches! We have a few birds visiting our feeder. It's early yet here.
Yes, I pray you have blue tits this year!
The Goldfinches are beautiful! I've never seen any with red on them before. Ours are all yellow and black. I just hung a new suet out, and filled a mesh bag with Thistle. So far, only the big mean Starlings and Cowbirds have come around. I am hoping to buy a cage for my Finch feeder. Have you seen one of those?
What beautiful birds you've shared about. The Goldfinches we see here in the U.S. look so different from the ones you've shared. I love all of the color on yours!
Ahh, these are beauties. Hope your bird box is the choice for the blue tits this year.
Its so great to know that you are back to your normal weather! We love goldfinches!
These birds are very colorful, I haven't seen any like them way over here in California. What kind are they?
i have no goldfinches here, they are so colourful. wagtails all around the town where I work, they look so fragile. We have what looks like a cuckoo, but surely not, it's too early?
I don't believe I have ever seen a goldfinch in our area but I would love to -- they are so pretty!
HI. I have missed a few posts, haven't I? Hopefully we have turned the corner with winter weather. Here, though, March can be our wettest month. Still, it sounds like you are warm and cozy, all snuggled in. Stay well.
PS. The bullfinches are so pretty. I'd sit and watch them, too.
Your Goldfinches look so different than ours here in NY. They are truly stunning! Their little red and black faces are adorable. I love to bird watch too. : )
I love watching the birds in my garden as well. They apparently elected the little roof over the garage door "pool of the year"... A branch created a dent in it and it makes a small pool of water every time it rains. The birds loves bathing in it!
As I write this Barbara...the sparrows that visit my hedge are having a party :) I also feed the birds during winter, not always, but I like to have them visit... maria
The same here, Barbara ... enjoy!
We installed a bird bath last summer and this summer, we're looking for a squirrel and rat proof feeder. Birds come to our flowering shrubs and trees, but we'd like to observe them a little closer. I hope the blue tits do nest for you this year.
I have seen two bullfinches in the park. I am literally beside myself with happiness about it :-)
I love when the birds come and visit and sing their pretty songs. We have doves that live here, I enjoy their cooing!
Post a Comment