Sunday, 8 April 2018

Garden Chaos.



We have been here six years (already!) and during that time the fence at the back of the garden seemed to be lasting well.
However after the terribly wet Winter, and the high winds of the recent storms....the fence is gently collapsing, helped along by the landscaper who will be replacing it..

We discovered that the base was pretty rotten, and a new fence was the only answer.
The work is under way .
But the hard part has been disentangling my Clematis Montana and my roses. Sadly they have all had to be cut back, but I'm hoping they won't take too long to recover.



Today we have a lovely sunny day, so I'm making the most of it and potting up some seedlings in the Greenhouse.
Hopefully the new fence will be up this week.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had to cut back roses one time due to a tree that fell and they came back bigger and better than before. That's what I wish for your roses and Clematis. You'll have to share pictures of your new fence. Enjoy the sunshine today and working in the greenhouse. Blessings, Mildred

Debbie Harris said...

Hello sweet lady!
It's always a sad thing when we have to cut back or prune our beautiful flowing gems, but many times it turnes out for the best, at least that is what I have found in our own yard, especially with our pussywillows, wow did they ever blossom out.
I love your pretty pink wheelbarrow ♡

Visits With Mary said...

Our fence is also in bad shape after this hard winter. Sorry you had to cut back the roses and clematis, hopefully it won't take them long to grow back. Love the pink wheelbarrow!!

Angela said...

Is it really six years? How time flies. Sorry about your fence, but I'm sure that the roses and clematis will grow back. Rain here all day today, but I did plant some herbs earlier in the week.

Sarah said...

We too have had a lot of wind and it is amazing how much damage the wind can cause. I hope that your flowers will not be harmed, but will blossom more beautifully than ever! Clematis and roses are two of my favorite flowers. Your gardens and flowers are always so pretty!

Connie said...

My heart goes out to you. We have lived here four years and every year has been putting in fencing. It took us four years to do it all. That's counting energy and budget, LOL. I do hope that your plants recover. Sometimes if the roots are well established the plants take off and do even better after being cut back. I'm hoping that will be the case for yours.
I'm looking forward to seeing your new fence.
Happy Gardening!
Connie :)

Pom Pom said...

Fences fall over here, too.
You sound excited about gardening. I have to wait a little bit longer.

Carolien said...

Good morning Elizabeth, our fence is wobbly too after the last storms. Next week we hope to fix it.
Happy gardening and have a good week!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I think your plants will come back more beautiful than ever! It seems to work that way, often!

I'm looking forward to seeing your new fence.

There are a few spring things blooming here, but spring is way behind due to the cold temps!

Elderberry-Rob said...

I had the same problem last year and had to replant roses and honeysuckle as the foundations were dug out disturbing the roots of any plants that were climbing on the old fence, it doesn' take long though to get some new coverage and it's very therapeutic doing a bit of woodstaining!

Cheryl said...

Isn't it always surprising how time flies?! In a few weeks, we will have lived in our house two years. I can hardly believe it.

I'll bet your garden will turn from chaos to restful retreat before the season changes again.

Lorrie said...

Six years passes so quickly. A new fence will stand so well that it will likely enhance your garden. I hope the clematis and the rose recover and take to the new fence quickly.

ellen b. said...

We've seen lots of fences topple here with the wetness and high winds. Hope your clematis and roses come back strong.

ann said...

I am so far behind in my blogging. Your fence looks quite sad. I cut back a clematis Sunday--gave it a good snipping back and it will come back stronger and better--so will yours. Don't know about the rose. Love the pink wheel barrow.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

We have had high winds here as well this winter, so understand your fence falling. Not sure what a Zimmer is, but husband has a walker, with wheels on the front and back and it has a seat. It isnt strong enough for him to pull up with however....he depends on that wheelchair for everything. Hope you have had a good day.

Anonymous said...

Hello. Thank you for your comment on the money plant - you are right, it is the same as Honesty plant. I stopped back by to wish you a blessed weekend.

Anne Payne said...

I love your pink wheelbarrow, Barbara! :-)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...