Round about now I often write a post about Christmas memories, so I'm sorry if you have read all this before!
Anticipation...that's the word that I need.
That's what we as children lived with for days before Christmas. We were so busy, not shopping, not playing with techy gadgets, but with making and preparing.
We spent hours glueing and sticking, making paper chains, making decorations for the tree...little walnut boats, tiny threaded bead strings, spreading silver dust all over the carpets. And of course, our tree had real candles, no Health and Safety rules then!
The house was full of warmth and lovely Christmassy smells, the pine scent of the tree, the cooking smells from the kitchen, a log fire burning and the once a year glass of sherry that my Grandpa indulged in. Grandma sang Carols as she worked.
We wrapped our parcels carefully and found places to hide the gifts we had made for our mothers and family. I don't think the parcels were at all professional, but they were wrapped with lots of love.
I remember the joy of sewing a gift for my mother. I chose a fabric, bought it from the shop, and cut out and made a frilly apron for her, all by hand.
Gifts were simpler in those days and maybe more appreciated.
One thing we did every year, just our little group of children, sister, cousins etc., was to go Carol singing on our lane. We chose a charity and practised, and neighbours were amazingly generous to our funny little singings. We always managed to collect a reasonable gift for the Charity, I think it was Missions to Seamen.
Now when I see the crowds, the TV advertisements for 'Things' and 'Food', I'm thankful for those memories of times without stress, times when the most important moment was to put up our little wooden Nativity set in front of the tree.
That was the start of Christmas.
stock photo




18 comments:
those memories are so very precious and I think indeed better than how things are today! Thank you for sharing them. Reminds me of the Miss Read books (esp the paper chains!)
My childhood Christmases were not the same as yours but I loved the simple cost free things we did back then. None of the Must Haves that are advertised nowadays nor worse still the ad in a phone shop I saw recently for the lates phone which said GIMME, GIMME, GIMME! What on earth has that to do with Christmas? I refuse to worship at the cathedrals of consumerism that abound these days!!
Miss rread as elizabeth says tells it like it was back in our childhoods!!
Oooo... beautiful memories! As I've been gathering my old memories these past couple of years, it has given me much joy. And, I never mind hearing these old stories over and over... they are worth telling and listening to.
Lovely, lovely memories!! We still have real candles on our tree, as it was my husband's family tradition from Germany. An occasional firefighter guest has been somewhat appalled, but we knew and our kids learned to really respect those candles - lit only once or twice during the season, but lit anyway!
I think that in many ways I am reverting to those simpler gifts. Year by year more and more presents seem to be homemade.
I to have reverted back to those simpler days and share handcrafted gifts with my family.
Precious memories, so glad we have them.
It is sweet to remember childhood Christmases! They do seem more simple looking back . . . although I wonder if that is through a child's eyes? I suspect it was not quite so simple for my parents as I remember!
I love the simple things of Christmas. Baking special cookies, listening to Christmas music all month, going together to view a special display of Christmas lights and then get a donut! We do all these things. We choose not to run around crazily during this season. We want to remember the REASON for the season. My cards are going out soon!
I love sitting with a Miss Read book at this time of the year. Her writing is a beautiful antidote to the consumerism that pervades our society. I have just finished "Christmas at Fairacre" it brings back so many memories of my childhood in the 50's. We made our own decorations (Our local dairy had rolls of aluminium offcuts from the stamping out of the bottle tops, this was much desired) I don't think of it as wanting less now as in gifts or busyness but rather I want more of the inner calm and enjoyment of small pleasures and time with family and friends. Thank you Elizabeth for sharing your memories with us.
I always enjoy reading about the ways of the past. They have much to teach us now when we are bombarded by so much consumerism. We have choices about how to celebrate Christmas, but it takes a bit of grit and determination to go against the flow.
This year we are doing a handmade Christmas and I'm having the best time. I settled on my makes a month or so ago and I've been stitching away in my spare time. Tim's done a few things in the shop, too. I feel much less stressed and positively giddy about not having to go out and shop.
Thank you for sharing your memories.
So good to read about these memories and to preserve these moments, too.
Such lovely memories, thanks for sharing them. Things sure have changed, it's a little sad sometimes.
Oh, I LOVE your memories. You paint a picture and I'd like to jump right in the picture!
I wish I could see the apron you made.
I have lots of memories of childhood Christmases. Yours are lovely. My mother was a top notch gift wrapper and hers looked professional. Mine - not so much!
Handmade gifts are really the best! I'm sure your mother always cherished the apron you made her! Something special has been lost in all the commercialism nowadays. Enjoyed hearing your precious memories from special Christmas' in the past!
You have some beautiful memories, thanks for sharing them. I liked it better when things were simple and dislike all the shopping frenzy we now are swept into.
Homemade is best, I think Elizabeth. Thank you for sharing your Christmas memories!
Post a Comment