Monday, 25 February 2019

Simple joys


We have had a spell of beautiful weather here in Cornwall. Each day brings warmth and sunshine, though by the evening the chill creeps in.
It's a joyful time in the garden, and things that I didn't expect to see in February are popping up all over the place.



Deep purple crocus, big cushions of primroses, swathes of pretty Tete a Tete daffodils. They  are all happily thriving.
But also, roses, rhubarb, tulips, grape hyacinths and even tiny flowers on an Apricot tree.
Now it is planning time, and one order has gone off for seeds and plants. My greenhouse has been cleaned and I have seedtrays with compost in, warming, ready for the little seeds to come. I have ordered Sweet peas, Orlaya, French climbing beans, Cosmos and more.
It's an exciting time.
Simple joys.

17 comments:

Lynn said...

I think Cicero was right about if you have a garden and a library .... Much love to you and M. x

Lynn said...

Ps I need some hand sewing too!!!!

Mary said...

All sounds perfect in your Cornish garden Barbara - I wish for you a beautiful springtime.
Mary x

Elizabethd said...

I love the quote from Cicero, so apt.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You are way ahead of us but I am excited about spring coming and I have plans for some changes to my garden for this year.

ellen b. said...

Always an exciting time in the year.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, your garden must be splendid! I am glad your weather has cheered up. Ours has too. Lilah Rose and I have spent a lot of time on the back porch just soaking in the sunshine!

Pom Pom said...

Seeds are lots of fun! We won't have blooms for quite some time. I can just picture your lovely garden!

Lorrie said...

It all sounds so lovely. A seed order arrived here today, but it's been so cold outside that I haven't been out to get the trays or even think of starting anything.
Your garden is going to be beautiful!

mamasmercantile said...

Plans have been made but no actual gardening attempted thus far.

Karen said...

How nice that you have flowers blooming in February. I will be looking forward to seeing your seeds sprout later. I have fond childhood memories of daffodils and sweet peas and tulips.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

It all sounds quite lovely. And I wish I were popping in to see how it will all look when things are in bloom. Such nice things to look forward to … as Spring comes.

Thinking of you and sending a big hug! xox

Stephanie said...

Simple joys...I like that, my friend. We've been enjoying a nice little thaw here in the mountains and oh, it's been ever so warm with lots of sunshine. I am so ready for the snow to melt. A snow storm is on its way tomorrow night and will be here for several days so my dreams for no snow may have to wait a couple more months.

Thinking of you, my friend! Love and hugs!

Carolien said...

Hello dear Elizabeth,

I am happy the warm weather has touched Cornwall as well. Enjoy! How nice to start gardening and planning.

Hugs across the pond & love, Carolien

Cheryl said...

Your weather and the gorgeous array of color sounds delightful!!

bristowmom said...

If spring has come to your corner of the world, surely it will arrive in mine before too long. I'll be watching for pictures of your plantings!

Connie said...

It is wonderful to hear about your spring weather and your plans. Spring brings with it a delightful feeling of hope :)
God bless you.
Connie :)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...