Wednesday, 27 March 2019

A rescue


You may have read of the near tragedy concerning the Viking Sky Cruise ship this week.
Sailing towards Norway, apparently the engines failed, and as the ship struggled in a terrible storm it became apparent that a rescue was necessary.
We watched parts of it on the news. A rescue boat could not reach the cruise ship due to the enormous waves, so five helicopters were brought in.....for over 1000 people!



I Cannot imagine anything more terrifying than hanging from a helicopter over a tossing sea and a lurching ship.
What we hadn't realised was that one of our close friends was actually on board. We knew that she was cruising but thought that she had returned the week before.
Suddenly it becomes close to home and something that was just 'newsworthy' is horribly real.
She and her companion were winched off but suffered some injuries. 
We are so thankful that nothing worse happened.

15 comments:

Angela said...

I am so glad that your friend - and the other passengers - are OK. The news reports were scary.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That is a real nightmare! Glad your friends are okay.

Stephanie said...

Oh my, what a scary thing to happen! I saw it on the news, but when you said your friend was on the ship I couldn't agree more that it becomes more real and close to home. I am glad she is okay.

Thinking of you, dear friend! Love and hugs sent your way!

Granny Marigold said...

What a terrible experience to have. I'm so glad your friend ( and the other passengers) are okay.

mamasmercantile said...

We watched in awe on the news. Thank goodness all as well in the end it must have been a terrible ordeal for all those involved.

Lorrie said...

We watched it on the news - it would have been a terrifying experience to be winched off. I wonder how they chose which passengers went first? I'm so glad that there were no fatalities or serious injuries.

elizabeth said...

wow! I don't really watch the news so this is the first I heard of it... how harrowing! Thank God that it was not worse! Sounds like poor planning to go out with such a storm :( Thank God your friends are OK!!!

ellen b. said...

So terrifying. Glad your friends were Ok!

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, my, I didn't know about this. Your title, "A Rescue," got my attention! Those cruise ships look so solid and secure but I guess it all depends...

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh my goodness … I feel my own soul lurch at this news. To have it come so close to home with your friend involved. Those dear people! Glad all were rescued.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Barbara! So scary! I am glad your friends are safe and sound.

Mary said...

I can imagine it being horrific when one is not expecting rough water like that - cruise ships of that size are really not built for those seas. Glad your friend made it off safely, several people were seriously injured I believe.

I crossed the Drake Passage returning to South America from Antarctica - that is classified as the roughest ocean in the world. However I was on an expedition/ice breaker ship which is much smaller, lower and built for such seas, and of course we were prepared ahead of time for what to expect. It was unbelievably rough for 24 hrs. and we were confined to cabins. Somewhat scary being tossed about, but exciting too!!!!!

Debbie Harris said...

Incredible in deed!
I can not imagine having to go through something like that.
Happy to hear that your friends made it safely with just a few injuries.

Bless you 💗

Cheryl said...

Oh, my! This must have worried you so much! I hadn't heard this story but am so thankful your friend is safe. God bless you, my friend!

Pom Pom said...

Oh, that is really awful! My sister has cruise fear so I am not going to tell her about your friends. I've never been on a cruise, but I didn't know things like that could go wrong. Yikes!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...