Friday, 10 May 2019

A day out.

For me, a day away from home is a rare thing, and all the more appreciated.
Two kindly Carers looked after my husband for the day and I set off on a train journey....not very far, to Liskeard , about 40 minutes away. It was a beautiful run as the beech trees were out in early leaf, bluebells could be seen from the carriage, and there was even a coffee being served.

At Liskeard station I met the lovely Mary of A breath of fresh air
and her charming husband. They had travelled down from Torquay for the day, a longer journey than mine.
We have been communicating for around 10 years, and I think we both began the blogs at about the same time.
We settled into a hotel lounge and never stopped talking, over coffee, then a little glass of something....Cornish beer for Bob!
Moving on to a small vegetarian cafe, we enjoyed lunch.

 Then keeping an eye on the time we decided to return to the hotel to order a taxi back to the station.
What we hadnt realised is that every single taxi in this little market town would be occupied with the School runs.
The lovely receptionist tried one company after another with no success. With a bright smile she said 'That's all right, I'll get my Dad to take you. He's only round the corner'.
And so we were run to the station by a very nice gentleman, courtesy of a sweet daughter. 
Aren't people kind?
Such a lovely day meeting new friends who already felt like old friends.

18 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That sounds like a lovely day out, and what a delightful young woman, going above and beyond with her thoughtfulness! It was icing on the cake!

Elderberry-Rob said...

That's a lovely day out and how nice to find that people in Liskeard are so kind. Probably a nice change for hubby too with some new conversation from his visitors/carers.

elizabeth said...

Oh I am so glad!!! What a blessing for you!! That lady who got you to ride via her Dad sounded so kind and just like what it should be like, seemed like a page out of a DE Stevenson novel! God bless you dear friend!!

Angela said...

So glad you could have such a beautiful day. And if I'm ever in Liskeard I shall make a point of eating in the veggie café!!

Granny Marigold said...

How lovely that you got to get away for a special time with blogger friends. And how kind of that man who drove you to the station when no taxis were available.

Debbie Harris said...

Your day away sounded just lovely!
Yes, there are good and kind people around and praise God for them. :-)

Enjoy your weekend in all its glory~

ellen b. said...

Love this story and the kindness of strangers! Beautiful.

doodles n daydreams said...

This sounds like a lovely day out, and such kindness.
Diana

Sandi said...

It is very good to hear about kind people these days!

Lorrie said...

How wonderful that you met up with Mary and Bob. They are so lovely to speak with. The kindness of strangers is an inspiring end to the day.

Mary said...

A fabulous few hours in the company of a delightful lady - Barbara you spoiled me! Bob and I had such a great time with you.
More later when I have time to post on our meeting.
Mary x

Sara said...

Oh, I'm so pleased that the two of you have met in person at last! I've yet to meet Mary and Bob face to face, but she has been an inspiration and online friend for many years, as have you! That's a lovely story about your ride back to the station. The world shines when people are so kind, and there are plenty of such people in this world, God be praised!

Rambler said...

So good to hear that you had a lovely day out - and I wish I'd known. I live just 4 miles away from Liskeard and spent the day in my garden. The vegetarian cafe is lovely, isn't it? Love to you and Malcolm. xx

Nearly Martha said...

Oooh yes. When people take our scooters and wheelchairs out into the city for the day we always advise them to order their taxis home well before 3pm. Taxi firms have lots of contracts with the local council for school runs and they are very lucrative - so there are rarely taxis to be had at that time. (Although how the rest of us are supposed to know that I have no idea)

Elizabethd said...

And as an ex teacher , shouldnt I have expected that?!

Cranberry Morning said...

We'll that indeed is a charming story of the kindness of real people and the joy of meeting a sister blogger. I've met two fellow bloggers from England, j_on_tour.blogspot.com and abitaboutbritain.com. It is such a delight. I would love to visit Cornwall and Torquay. I'm thinking both desires were influenced by Agatha Christie? And Martin Clunes. :-)

Connie said...

I am so delighted that you were able to have a day out . It sounds like your outing was wonderful and I think it was so sweet of the lady's father to give you a ride to the station . This world is filled with kind and generous people. Thank you for taking pictures and sharing your day with us . Before I end my comment I want to thank you for your prayers we appreciate them so much .

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I am so glad you had an adventure away to visit your dear friend. Even a little getaway for a few hours does one good. What a lovely receptionist & her father to help you all get to the station. Have a lovely weekend! xo

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...