Sunday, 4 August 2019

80th


I chose to have a tea party for my birthday yesterday.
I sat in the garden at 7.30 am watching what the weather forecasters called 'fleeting showers', and prayed that we might have the gift of a fine afternoon.
By midday it was still showering, but miraculously everything changed by 2pm, the sun came out and friends and family were able to sit in the garden.



Of course, we over catered. (Not a good photo as someone stepped in front of me just as I pressed the shutter!)


I asked all our guests not to bring presents but if they liked, to make a small donation to a charity that I am fond of, called 
Horatio's Garden

Horatio Chapple was a young student working as a volunteer in a Spinal injuries hospital, where his father was a surgeon. Horatio felt that there should be a garden where people could be wheeled out, sometimes in a bed, or wheelchair, to enjoy the calm and solace that a garden brings.
He began to design the first garden. Sadly he was killed in Norway at far too young an age.
His parents continued with his work and now there are four Horatio's gardens connected to Spinal injuries hospitals in GB.

I know what calm my garden brings me if I am feeling stressed, and felt that this is a worthwhile Charity to support. Thanks to some kind donations we will be sending a good cheque to the Charity

19 comments:

Peggy said...

Happy belated birthday! Friends and family - what more can we want around us! And how kind of them to be generous to something so dear to your heart.

Mary said...

Congratulations - what a fabulous special Birthday celebration - so glad the weather was kind too! Everything looks so delicious Barbara - certainly plenty of good English cakes!

Lovely that your chosen charity will benefit from such a nice way of gifting. I liked the story of such a generous and thoughtful young man, but so sad he was taken too young and in such a terrible accident (I looked it up and was shocked).

Again a very happy Birthday dear Barbara, and here's to many more.
Mary & Bob XX

elizabeth said...

That such a blessing! I am so very glad that the garden tea party turned out so well! Happy birthday! A blessed one! 🥰🥰🥰🥰❤❤❤❤🎂🎉🎊❤

Angela said...

Happy birthday dear friend. So pleased the tea party went well. What a lovely charity to support x

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

So glad the rains stopped and the sun came out for your birthday party. I see there was Victoria Sponge on the buffet table … I would have had a slice of that in your honour. And to think of the good that comes from Horatio's Garden. That would be a lovely charity to support.

Wishing you a pleasant week ahead.
Brenda xox

Granny Marigold said...

Happy Birthday!! I'm so happy that the rain stopped and you and your guests were able to sit outside. The food looks delicious!
Horatio's Garden sounds like a very worthwhile charity to support.

Debbie Harris said...

What a heart warming story, and God bless you for choosing such a thoughtful way of sharing your birthday gifts. My you have a precious heart, sweet lady. ❤

Your garden party looks like a lovely gathering and praise the Lord for nice weather.
Again, Happiest of Birthdays to you ❣

Anonymous said...

Barbara, what a lovely tea party. I am so glad that the weather cleared up in time. All that food looks so delicious! I'd not heard of that charity before but it truly sounds wonderful and I will check out the link you provided. Again, Happy Birthday!

Lynn said...

Happy birthday!

Elderberry-Rob said...

lovely to have a get together in your own garden! glad the sun came out.

Sandi said...

Happy Birthday!

Cheryl said...

Big birthday blessings to you, Barbara!! What a lovely way to celebrate!

mamasmercantile said...

Belated Birthday wishes. It looks like you a good gathering with friends and family.

Pom Pom said...

Happy birthday! You are a very youthful 80! Your tea party looks fun, fun, fun! I love the idea of sharing gardens with everyone, especially people who can't get outside as much or don't have their own garden.

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday! A garden party would be the very best way to celebrate.

I'd never heard of Horatio's garden. What a wonderful charity.

Visits With Mary said...

Happy Birthday! Your garden is lovely, such a nice place for family and friends to gather. I've never heard of Horatio's Garden, I hope they received some nice donations in your name.

ellen b. said...

So happy to hear the skies cleared for your birthday tea. The food looks delicious!

Astrids dragon said...

Happy, happy belated! What a lovely way to celebrate your birthday, it looked like a wonderful time!
Horatio's Garden sounds like a special place, how kind of you to ask for donations for it.

Linda said...

How sweet to give back to others when it was your birthday. It does sound like a wonderful charity to donate too :)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...