Wednesday, 30 October 2019

Words

Words are important to me.
In fact I become a bit over picky about the incorrect use of words, often in advertisements.
I had a brilliant English language teacher at school and have never forgotten how particular she was.

I think today I would be regarded as old fashioned.

I found a new word today.
Occasionally I keep Marks and Spencer's ready meals in the freezer for emergencies. They are good healthy options.
I looked at the instructions on one and read.....

Do not put this dish into the oven.
Decant into an ovenable dish.

Do you have ovenable dishes?!

Apparently 530 new words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary by September 2018, including slang words such as sumfink (something), whatevs (whatever), and with Social media in mind 'Nomophobia' (anxiety about not having access to a mobile phone)

Deep sigh.

19 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Yes. I know what you mean.

Debbie Harris said...

Haha! It's not really funny is it, but in a way you can't help but laugh at the stupidity.
It's sad to where our language is headed and if you are one to text and not be on board with the lingo, like myself, then sometimes you can't even understand what someone is saying.
These things drive my husband crazy! ;)

Enjoy your day~

Marigold Jam said...

It's apostrophes I get cross about! Also why have so many words relating to nature been left out when adding the new words to the dictionary? Is English language even taught these days?

Kay G. said...

I notice the death of adverbs. It is not drive carefully but drive careful. Not eat slowly but eat slow. Just heard whatevs on a British TV show, knew it had to be trendy now! I am old. How must it be for those trying to learn English?

Granny Marigold said...

Nomophobia indeed!! What next? Now I must go take my ovenable pan of apple crisp out of the oven.

Angela said...

I find myself irritated by the expressions to "detrain" and "deplane" - why can we not just leave/get off the vehicle?

ellen b. said...

Deep sigh indeed...
I was impressed with Marks and Spencer ready meals when in Cornwall.

Mary said...

Huge sigh from here Barbara. As if we don't have enough words already!!!!!

Lorrie said...

Another deep sigh from here, Barbara. Misplaced apostrophes bother me, and there are so many spelling mistakes in public signs. It's an embarrassment. Yes, I do have ovenable dishes (my computer spellchecker doesn't recognize that word).

Terri said...

Here I call it, "The dumbing down of America!" But I'm not sure dumbing is supposed to be used as a verb. lol

Kay G. said...

Oh just thought about this... "Moving forward". We used to say, "from now on". Moving forward sounds like something a turtle does.

Jenny said...

I think they must have millennials adding those new words every year. It's ridiculous. Most of them will never be used once those those people grow up.

I recently shared the verse "For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanishes away." James 4:14 with a photograph of the mist rising of the lake near my house. Someone commented that they couldn't understand what the verse said with the old English....which it's not that old. So they had to read this version. "What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." (NIV) The word appeareth was the only major change that I could see.

I love words & beautiful language. We can say such beautiful things with our words & really cause other people to feel extreme emotions if we're good at it.

Another thing to note, as I type this comment my spell check will not recognize 'appeareth' as a word or the old spelling of vapour.

Sara said...

"Ovenable" is a new word to me too, but I must say I like the sound of it. I'd also like to add (poking fun at my fellow countrymen) that if anyone here in the USA read those directions they might scratch their heads at "decant." A perfectly lovely word but not one used much around here.

Connie said...

Oh my, I'm always looking up word meanings and I certainly don't need more, LOL.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I guess language is always evolving, but I do wonder where this generation's lingo is taking us. I must be getting old ... some of the trendy wording out there now, I haven't a clue what they are talking about. I want to say, please speak English.

Mrs. White said...

I find it difficult to understand why slang would be added to a dictionary. I thought the purpose of the book was to find the proper use of the English Language. I am grateful to have an old fashioned dictionary here at home.

I have heard of "slang" or "urban" books that help people understand some of the modern dialect.

Perhaps they could just print two different types of dictionaries!

Elderberry-Rob said...

we have industry style words for things at work, I worked with a large purple suspended banner over my head saying FNOL for over a year before I realised it meant 'first notification of loss' and CST 'customer service team' I know it's daft but if you get left behind a bit it's easy to fall out of touch with all the new words and phrases in the workplace let alone in the bigger world!

Anne Payne said...

Oh my. I am a word nerd too. I often correct others :-) Adding some of these words is definitely a negative. Children are going to grow up with abominable language skills.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...