I'm looking for a new nightdress.
I've come to the somewhat reluctant conclusion that I am growing old, and bracketed in the 'elderly ladies nightwear' section of most catalogues. Sensible, warm....and not very pretty.
I don't want glamorous, just pretty.
I don't want glamorous, just pretty.
Getty images.
Now that Winter nights have set in, I do feel the cold in bed, and my Summer nighties are not enough. I have a real aversion to pyjamas for no reason at all, but I love pretty nighties.
I remember nighties that my mum made me, in white seersucker, full length and with lace and smocking round the bodice. I loved them and felt a bit princessy in them.
However, M/S came up with this, which I bought and which is lovely....but with short sleeves.
Not exactly a nightie, is it?!
But, so cosy!
(Yes, Angela, I know....I could make one myself.......)




19 comments:
I have spent hours over the years looking for the nightgown you describe. The only ones I have found that are truly cozy not (to me) skimpy in some way are the Eileen West brand. They are expensive, though, and I suppose they'd be more so to get them across the water. :-(
I love Calida gowns, pricy but they last for 20+ years. Vermont Country Store always has old-fashioned ones.
Finding the right nightwear is no small task. It should be easy enough but it isn't. Considering how many hours a day we'll spend in it it has to be warm and comfortable ( and hopefully not to dear).
Call that cozy one a bed jacket, and it will be a perfect combo for your pretty short-sleeved nightie on those cold nights.
Hope you find something that works for you. :)
Hi I just emailed you a link for Lunn's Antiques who do cotton vintage STYLE nighties (not really antique!) think this may be what you would like. Betty x
I know just what you mean. I want one that is long enough to pull down over my knees in bed, that comes over my shoulders and back of my neck, is made of cotton jersey so has a bit of stretch but not longsleeved. I might go for that M&S one you show if I can find one. I remember making my own years ago and dressing gowns too but where does one find the fabric these days? With so much choice in everything it should be simple enough but I can never find just what I want in the nightwear department. It's all either skimpy or thick PJs more suited to lounging in not wearing in bed these days! Good luck with the hunt.
I love long nightgowns too. I have sewn old-fashioned nightgowns for years and each Christmas sell a few long flannel nightgowns that I hand embroider.
I'm not sure if this company ships to the UK, but Shop National has a lovely selection of ladies dressing gowns and nightgowns. I have purchased dressing gowns from Shop National and have been very pleased. My husband gave me their quilted flannel dressing gown last year for Christmas. It is very long and super cozy. : )
I have to laugh at this post,as nightclothes are my nemesis. I am always cold, and I often cannot get a gown over by head due to arthritis. So when I ask for pj's for Christmas, they must be button up and no heavy collar and no 3/4 sleeves (my wrist get cold). My kids laugh at all my requirements.
That blue and white dress nightie looks like a dress to wear in ordinary life!
Very nice :)
It is so funny to find your discussion here, because I have recently been on a search (a fruitless search so far) for some new nightgowns too! I have a couple that I love, but I have been wearing them over and over for several years and they are nearly worn out. But everything I find is either too short, too hot (I can't tolerate flannel), too . . . something. I recently gave in and bought some sleep pants. Sigh ...
I love what you found! So pretty! (It would, however, be too warm for me.)
I think a good warm nightgown is a wonderful thing! my favourite is the Scotch Plaid Flannel Nightgown by LL Bean; I have it in red; Mr Husband teases me about it being right out of "little house on the Prairie" but it's warm and comfortable!
Dear Barbara,
I hope you will find some good and pretty ones.
I remember feeling the same (I guess) when looking for a pretty skirt, length over the knee. It was an impossible mission. After some shops I just went in, asked if they had skirts over the knee and if not ... walking straight out of the shop. When I will ever spot 'my oldfashioned trend' I will buy them at once LOL
Have a nice Sunday evening and have a good week!
Love Carolien
It's not so easy these days to find things to suit us is it!! I like the nightdress you found, and the jacket looks wonderfully warm and cozy. I'm a pajamas girl, myself, but being a little taller than most ladies, they are never quite long enough unless one wants to spend a fortune. As long as they are soft and stretchy and not too warm . . . I make do.
Hello Barbara,
I hope you find something you enjoy wearing. After all, they say we spend 1/3 of our time in sleeping. I'm not a pajama fan either, and wear my nightgowns for years until they are quite ragged. The jacket looks cozy for sitting in bed reading or drinking tea, but it might be a bit much for sleeping.
Hello Barbara,
Have you heard of TillyRags. She handcrafts sleepwear. You will find them on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/TillyRags?ref=shop_sugg
For Summer Priano uses fine cotton batiste for their nightgowns.
And then there is Henredon of Switzerland, a little more expensive.
I think that you will find exactly what you are looking for.
Hello Barbara,
I just noticed that TillyRags is taking a short break until the first of the year. To get an idea what her hand made nightgowns look like, check out her Reviews.
Priamo has enlarged their selections. You will find anything from Silk to Flannels to Cottons, to bridal wear.
Here I am again,
It is the brand "Hanro" from Switzerland that I meant not Henredon.
https://shop.hanrousa.com/department/sleepwear-10471/
Hello Barbara, I find I have the same problem and resorted to buying a nightie pattern, fabric and trims. I plan to make it when the cooler weather arrives :). I don't like when they are too short either. It;s just hard to find good nighties now. Great minds !!
Post a Comment