As the first Spring flowers begin to open in my garden I'm happy to see the tiny violets growing wild in the grass under the hedges. They can be an absolute nuisance if they get into the flower beds, which they always do, as they run. And run. Until they have done what they feel is best, which is to cover every available bit of ground.
I spend a lot of time carefully moving them.
And quite a lot of time telling them how naughty they are.
But.....memories take me back to our lane in Cornwall, just after the war, where we were the first 'newcomers' to live.
Along the lane was a white cottage with a large allotment. Mr and Mrs Bursey ran the allotment growing solely Violets. Rows and rows.
They were amazing. Large flowers deeply violet coloured. Highly scented, and much in demand in London markets.
Every day Mr Bursey would be out picking. If we asked nicely we were allowed to help him, but we didnt manage the craft of beautiful bunching as he did.
But the feel of those damp, sometimes rain spotted leaves, and the scent of the flowers will always remain as a childhood memory.
Mr Bursey's allotment is long gone now, and a smart 'waterside residence' has taken its place.
In the days before and after the War, there was a special train from Penzance in Cornwall which took flowers, violets, sometimes primroses delicately bunched, hyacinths and daffoldils up to Covent Garden market.
Those tiny posies that Eliza Doolittle sold to gentlemen for buttonholes became so popular that a bunch would sell for 24 shillings in London, whereas in Cornwall they would have only fetched 4 shillings (20p)
Covent garden market as it once was.
The market moved in the 1970s but Covent Garden is still a popular place to visit.


12 comments:
I enjoyed this post, thank you. It brought back my own memories, my grandmother only wore purple, even a purple rinse in her hair, chewed parma violets, wore violet perfume and allowed violets to run riot in the garden, I too remember those fresh, highly scented little bunches of violets that always made their way into our house and I do miss them.
I try making my own posies when I have flowers blooming. I've never lived in a place where anyone else made them...or you could buy them. But I do so enjoy sharing them with my friends.
Thanks for sharing such sweet memories.
You have some wonderful memories. It as a delight to see the violets.
How I feasted my eyes on your violets! Mine won't be blooming for quite a while. I have a variety called Freckles (white heavily spotted with dark blue) and they spread and have to be restrained. I also have pink ones but they are in a dry area and don't spread much.
Good memories surrounding that pretty bloom. I'd exchange a nuisance of violets over dandelions.
what a lovely memory and what lovely flowers!! I would be most happy to hear more of your memories... you were new to Cornwall, that alone sounds like a story for listening ears! :) Praying for you and your Husband <3
What a wonderful story, thank you!
When we moved to our acreage 32 years ago the place had loads of wild violets. I always loved them and they were the first signs of spring to me. Left that acreage last year but violets always mean spring to me and I always look for them, never wanting to kill any.
What a lovely memory story you shared, Barbara. Violets are such pretty flowers. I have one small flower bed where I allow the violets and so far, they have been good and stay there. Unfortunately, although our violets look similar to yours, they lack the fragrance (and flavour) of yours.
I love hearing your memories of places I have read about in so many books! Violets are often found in our NC yard and I'm always happy to see them peeking out. :-)
Dear Elizabeth, thank you for sharing such a heart warming memory of your childhood. Your experience after newly moving into Cornwall and the allotment of violets, their scent and their demand as a flower in all markets, etc were truly amazing to read. Such a personalised post and hoping to see much of such memories wither through your words for us readers.
It was totally impressive to read your blog. After reading your blog, I was able to recap some of the incidences associated with purple. I enjoy having it in my hands and also sharing it with my friends.
Post a Comment