This is one of my favourite recipe books.
The Tuscan sun, by Frances Mayes, echoes so much of her novels written about her house in Tuscany.
'Under the Tuscan Sun', and 'Bella Tuscany' are two evocative stories of renovating an old house in olive groves. In her writings you can feel the warmth of the sun, smell the olives, see the sunflowers.
I was delighted when I found the recipe book a while ago.
Every now and then I feel like veering away from tried and tested traditional English dishes.
This sounds good! Simple but tasty.
I'll let you know.
I think everyone has a favourite cook book. Some of mine are very old now and include my Grandma's recipe book, all handwritten. Mary Berry figures on my shelf too.
I expect you have treasured copies of recipes?
I'll let you know.
I think everyone has a favourite cook book. Some of mine are very old now and include my Grandma's recipe book, all handwritten. Mary Berry figures on my shelf too.
I expect you have treasured copies of recipes?
12 comments:
For basics, I still use my Good Housekeeping cookbook from 1978,and I know I can trust the blessed St Delia (follow her instructions to the letter, and it never fails but do NOT tweak anything) Recently Hugh FW "love your leftovers" has been my go-to for avoiding waste. For baking, I use Rachel Allen's books. Clear instructions, good photos and a pleasing style. If I am trying to lose weight, I avoid food, read Nigel Slater, and just dream about recipes I may make in the future!
I love cookbooks! I like Gladys Tabor's old cookbook because it reminds me of food from my youth. I love Crabtree and Evelyn's light fare book, too. I love them all. The one you feature looks wonderful. I can't wait to hear how yummy your supper turns out to be!
My mom gave me my first cookbook when I was 14 (to tuck into for my hope chest). It was put out by the Purity Flour mill company in Canada. It's still one Rick and I both use when we make muffins or pancakes or waffles.
Your Tuscany find sounds like it has some delicious recipes to try out. Bon appetit!
I've been thinking about cookbooks, where my two stand by cookbooks are from. I think one I bought and the other my mother gave me when I was in high school. A third one got mixed up in a book donation box. It was my favorite, a Southern Living Cookbook.
A few years ago I went through my cookbooks and donated most to the thrift store. I do have an old cookbook that's looking its age. Some pages have stains and the cover is falling apart. My mom and sisters all had the same cookbook and some of the recipes were attributed to friends of Mom's. That book is a keeper.
I love browsing through cookbooks. I'm glad we have our mom's recipes in a little family heritage cookbook to pass on to our kids and grandkids.
Reading cookbooks is a great pastime and can be very motivating. Your pasta sausage bake sounds quite delicious. I have a Betty Crocker cookbook given to me as a wedding shower gift that is quite stained with a repaired binding that I still use for basic things.
I just bought an Italian (Sicilian?) cookbook too..Nick Stellino's Family Kitchen. Also my son gave me the Downton Abbey cookbook for Christmas. Both are very enjoyable reading. But I treasure a very old cookbook, with no cover now, stained pages and my Mother's handwriting...
I would love to see your grandmother's handwritten cookery book, that's such a treasure. I am one of those people who choose books with lots of pictures but don't make very much! the men here like cooking more than me. We have some of the Leon cook books but I have not (shamefully) made anything from them !!!
Under The Tuscan Sun . . . I love that movie:) Your new cookbook sounds delightful:)
Oh yes, I bet we all have our special recipes. I hope your dish was fine, it looks great in the book!
Love Carolien
It is fun to pull out a new/old cookbook and try something new!
Post a Comment