Sunday, 12 April 2020

Easter Sunday

Very little traffic on the coast road behind us.
No visitors.
No Easter flowers, chocolates or eggs!
No distractions.

It's been an Easter Sunday like no other, with everything 'normal' stripped away.
Time just to be silent, to listen to an Easter service on the radio, to have a quiet lunch on our own.
Time to think.

Birdsong is louder due to there being so little traffic noise, and how very noisy those blackbirds can be!
Time to watch the bluetit pair as they pop in and out of the nesting box.
(This is not our box but is exactly the same shape.)

Time to quietly plan the garden lay-out.

A different way of life.
A calmer way of life.
For a while.

The Archbishop of Canterbury said today  
After so much suffering, so much heroism from key workers and the NHS in this country and their equivalents all across the globe, once this epidemic is conquered here and elsewhere, we cannot be content to go back to what was before as if all was normal. There needs to be a resurrection of our common life, a new normal, something that links to the old, but is different and more beautiful."

12 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

"A resurrection of our common life," would be a blessing.

Angela said...

Well said ABC!

Connie said...

Your post is so beautiful and so meaningful, I like that too, "a resurrection of our common life." Thank you for visiting my blog today and thank you for your prayers. My heart feels so broken and empty, but I know that the Lord has plans for my life and that there is more for this old girl to do and more inward growing for me to do. Everyday I cry, but everyday I say "amen" and take another step forward, even though it is so hard to do.
Thank you for being such a sweet blogging sister.
God bless you.
Connie

Granny Marigold said...

Wise words from the Archbishop.
Hopefully we can begin rebuilding our lives again soon.

Lorrie said...

Thoughtful and meaningful words from the Archbishop. I wonder what a return to "normal" will mean. I also liked the Queen's speech.

mamasmercantile said...

Wise words and like Lorrie said thoughtful and meaningful words from the Archbishop. I too wonder what our normal will become.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I usually find Easter statements by the clerky boring, in one ear and out the other, but the Archbishop really cracked it this year, I so hope his words come true - and our World becomes something new and more beautiful.

Mary said...

Despite the horror and sadness of this pandemic, I pray that it does bring change in a good way to this corrupt and greedy world. Love, caring and kindness has faded and we do need 'links to the old!'

I hope you get baby bluetits to watch. My finch still hasn't
hatched her eggs - I hope they are OK. Severe storms here all night and still this morning - tornado touched now about 15 miles away around 7 am!

So much causing stress these days - I'm beginning to feel overly sad which I know is not good, I must keep busy. . . . . .and stop watching the media tearing the world apart!
Love and hugs - Mary

ellen b. said...

It would be good to evaluate our lives and to see what we could do without, if doing without improves our lives. Sounds like your quiet day was a good one.

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I love the Archbishop's Comment. So very true! Your quiet Easter sounds so lovely to me. {{HUGS}}

Jackie said...

Love your Archbishops comment. I think we all need to re-evaluate what is important in our lives.

I got your letter just before we left for Kris's so I will be sending you one shortly.

God bless.

Carolien said...

Hello dear Barbara,

Yes a strange Easter indeed. I pray the words of the archbishop come true!

Hugs and love, Carolien

P.S. Love your birdhouse!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...