Friday, 3 April 2020

My conservatory.

Do you think people are posting more often at the minute?
Normally I write something about once a week, but somehow I feel we all need to connect a little more.

This is a small part of my sunroom. The geraniums have been there all Winter and have now come into flower which is such a delight.


One of them has  sweetly scented leaves, with small pale pink flowers. I've taken half a dozen cuttings from it, all of which have rooted.
 There is a white geranium, cuttings brought from France, and two pink ones. Pink geraniums always bring to mind Elizabeth Goudge's 'Little white Horse', a childhood favourite book.
Do you know it?

And on the other wall, my untidy place.
Completely unstaged, this is how my sewing area looks today, bits and pieces everywhere.

Normally my machine is closed up in the unit and it looks tidier.....but this is reality today.

19 comments:

Angela said...

It is not as if you have to worry about unexpected guests calling round and being shocked but the uncharacteristic untidiness!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely geraniums. They are a favorite flower that goes through my family's generations.
Blogging more often does feel more important now, something to give folks that hopefully makes their day better.
Thank you for brightening my day

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Doesn’t look very untidy to me — maybe I should share a photo of MY sewing area. Yes, it does seem like people are posting a lot more lately but I think that is because we need to community and bloggers are a pretty good community! Your geraniums are beautiful!

Marigold Jam said...

Looks lived in and used so well done you. I spent yesterday afternoon taking cuttings from my geraniums which had wintered in the unheated conservatory some of which were cuttings of cuttings of cuttings and go back to before we moved to France in 2005 so have survived the journey there and back and I had thought I'd buy new ones this year but with garden centres closed that is looking unlikely so keep your fingers crossed for my tray of little cuttings!!

Deanna Rabe said...

What a lovely space! The geraniums are so cheerful and pretty! Your sewing space is being used so, of course, its a bit messy!

I for one am so happy to see more posts! Keeps us all connected!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Thank you for the glimpse into your world today. Lovely geraniums. Such a pretty pink. Yes, we are connecting more these days....I'm happy to see more posts and to share more too.

Happy thoughts your way, dear Barbara!
Brenda xox

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I love those geraniums! I was just looking at The Little White Horse on my shelf. I loved it.
Yes, posting more and enjoying your posts, too!

Anonymous said...

Barbara, your "messy" area looks rather tidy to me! I love the pale pink and white geraniums. So beautiful! I know I have been posting more. I think it helps establish a routine is such a tumultuous time such as this. xo

elizabeth said...

oh those geraniums!!! always bring me back to Elizabeth Goudge and those look just like I imagine them in the book!!! I love this so much. I like your sewing area too! :) God bless you dear one!!!

ellen b. said...

I think we are all living in reality right now. Lovely geraniums!

Granny Marigold said...

Your geraniums are lovely. Isn't it wonderful to have a sunny room to help them thrive?
I read The Little White Horse just last year after someone posted about it. That's just one of the benefits of our blogs. We get recommendations for books, movies and more. I do think bloggers are posting more now. Maybe because we all have more free time.

Jackie said...

Compared to my sewing/craft room yours is very tidy.

As the world shuts down, we do need to connect more.

God bless.

Jenny said...

Your geraniums are beautiful. I've never had very good luck with them & they're supposed to be easy to grow....or at least everyone tells so. You have the perfect spot to enjoy yours.

I had to look the children's book up. I'm not familiar with it. The description sounds familiar to me. Do you know if they made a movie about it?

Goodness my whole house seems to be in a tumble. I can't seem to find the motivation to clean up as much as I usually do but no one here seems to mind.

Thanks for sharing more beauty from your corner of the world.

Lorrie said...

What beautiful geraniums you have. I love those pink colours. The ones I buy tend to have an orange cast that I don't really like. My dining room table is a mess right now. I brought my sewing machine down so that I feel "in the midst" of things while I sew. I will tidy it tomorrow, but still leave it downstairs. It's not as if we're having anyone over these days!

Yes, I think bloggers are posting more. It's a way to feel connected and to give way to our feelings about this uncertain time.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I hope you are enjoying some sewing and not worrying too much about being tidy - it looks lived in to me and I think homes that looked lived in are the best. How clever to take cuttings and increase your geranium stock, a lesson to us all to get the best out of what we have. I am really enjoying the more frequent blogland posts, yours included.

mamasmercantile said...

Such a beautiful setting for a beautiful plant. I love the reality of the post my sewing room is a lot worse of that I can assure you. Take care.

Mary said...

I've never been able to over-winter my geraniums - yours look healthy. I did buy a pot of new ones this week when we to managed to go early morning to the big DIY store (permitted to open for builders/landscapers etc>) garden center for tomato plants, petunias, herb seeds etc. This is has kept me busy in the garden past couple of brilliant warm, sunny days. I'll have enough basil to cook Italian/make pesto all summer long if still stuck here!
Stay safe dears- Mary xx

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Such a lovely sight, to see your geraniums in bloom! They are beautiful! And a sewing room is meant to be in use! Looks great to me! :) Blessings to you sweet friend!

French Nanny said...

My craft room is never tidy. I'm in it every day right now either making something or looking for something, as all the food from the old kitchen cupboards is in there and most of the rest of the contents too!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...