Monday, 6 April 2020

Tiny shoots

So good to see some tiny new shoots.
This is a Tomato, the only one that germinated in this pot.

More tomatoes, finally growing after nearly three weeks germination.

There is a huge return to 'growing your own' here, as our Garden Centres are closed. This is such a pity, as it is the time of year when thousands of new Spring plants are almost ready for sale. What will happen to them?
One enterprising local centre has started doing deliveries, and I have ordered bags of compost from them.
But the fun of going to a Garden centre and looking, smelling and choosing, is no longer possible.
I want our world to return to normal as soon as possible, though I'm not sure what 'normal' will be.

**********************

On another subject , it was so comforting to see Her Majesty the Queen broadcasting to the nation last night.
She has all the right words. She urged the world and the nation to unite in the fight against Coronavirus.
'We will succeed', she said, 'and that success will belong to all of us'.

14 comments:

Angela said...

I felt that the Queen's broadcast was brilliant. Well worded, and well timed. I have nothing but respect for a woman who has lived a life of faith, duty and service. I ventured out this morning (first time in 3 weeks) to nearby m&s Foodhall. It was a strange experience, shopping has completely changed! The assistant gave me 6 "Little Garden" seed pots. "if you've been ill, you will have missed these" She said, have some extras! I shall attempt to grow some cress and radishes with her unexpectedly generous gift.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I love those words, "...success will belong to all of us."

Elderberry-Rob said...

She never mentioned the words Corona Virus, did you notice? her speech was timeless and just what the nationa needed.

mamasmercantile said...

Success will indeed belong to us all, we need to stay strong by staying inside and safe. We have set seeds too in a bid to grow as much as we can. Stay safe.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I love the Queen and her speech was so comforting. Her voice, so well known, is a comfort just to hear it.

I know about not being able to go to the garden centres to browse and choose, and to smell the air. At least some of our local green houses will be doing online sales and then buyers just go pick up the order. Hopefully that works for centres in your own area too.

Glad to see your tomato plants sprouting. Something normal to look forward to.

Brenda xox

Sandi said...

She seems very calming.

I wonder what normal will look like. How will this have changed us?

Cranberry Morning said...

I saw a bit of that speech. Your Queen is so solid, so full of wisdom. I agree with one of the commenters that even her voice is calming. And what a wonderful line, that success will belong to all of us. She's amazing!

Granny Marigold said...

It's sad that you can't go to the plant shop and choose what you want to grow. I'm thankful that so far ours have stayed open. Who knows for how long?
I'm finding seeds are taking longer to germinate this year. Our house is kept on the cool side, that may have something to do with it.
Keep well.

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I do love the Queen.
Maybe I could plant seedlings in coffee pods!
I planted a little grass garden for Timothy. He likes to chew on it.
Take care, friend.

ellen b. said...

I enjoyed the Queen's message, too. Praying for this to end sooner than later! Fun to see those shoots!

Jenny said...

Even though I'm American I always listen to the Queen's speech. She is always so eloquent & encouraging.

Our garden centers are still open in my immediate area. I am ordering plants through pick up...so I won't go n & browse. I'll just drive up, they'll load & I'll go back home to plant.

I've planted some seeds but I really waited to late to start some things so I'm glad to be able to buy plants.

Anonymous said...

Love the Queen's message too, Barbara! I hope someone watches out for the garden plants at the nursery! I am starting some seedlings too. I'm hoping for my own victory garden! ♥

French Nanny said...

I think we will have to get used to tomatoes being ripe later than usual as we cannot buy hothouse-raised plants. My seedlings are about at the same stage as yours, but I am hoping they will surge onward and upward once the weather gets warmer. You should grow runner beans. They pop up like baby trifids in the minimum of time!

Jackie said...

I felt that the Queen was so calm and capable. Loved her message here in Canada.

I am really enjoying all the pictures of lovely growing things.

God bless.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...