This is a pretty Dahlia called Roxy.
I have had her for two or three years and she has always been an asset to the flower bed. She is not the tallest, so this Spring I planted her (or what I thought was her) in the front of the flowerbed. I hadn't labelled the tubers but I knew she had dark leaves.
Today a bloom has opened up.
It isn't Roxy!
Checking on my orders from Sarah Raven, this must be Waltzing Matilda, who also has dark leaves.
She's very welcome, but she is a bit taller than Roxy!
There are more to come, and despite labelling some of them, I may find that they are all growing in places that weren't quite planned,
It has taken me many years to be confident with Dahlias.
My Grandpa used to grow them and his favourite was the traditional
Bishop of LLandaff.
So pretty. I don't have it, but may have to introduce it.
If only I had room for so many of these lovely plants.
Stock images used today.



11 comments:
Beautiful flowers.
I prefer the daisy like flower over the dahlia with lots of petals.
This is the first year in ages that I don't have a single Dahlia. The few I had left didn't survive the winter although I did store them in a frost free place.
Roxy and Waltzing Mathilda...pretty names for pretty flowers.
my grandma was a dahlia fan, she grew loads of them and put brown paper bags over their heads to get them to bloom at the perfect moment for the Hilperton flower show! they are beautiful, some of the double ones seem almost like they are artificial in texture - not everyone grows them well so they must like you :) yours are very pretty.
What lovely specimens. I like dahlias very much.
There are so many varieties of Dahlias. Yours are pretty.
What lovely dahlias, by any name! Such a wonderful flower with so many varieties. I lost my dahlias this year - they were in vermiculite in the shed, but it may have gotten too cold. I purchased a couple of new ones, and hope they do well. I can never decide if leaving them in the ground or lifting them is best.
Not much of a gardener myself, I had no idea that there were so many kinds of dahlias! I don't see one that I don't like!
Beautiful. My Grandad was a great dahlia grower and used to have so many varieties.
Very pretty. At what point did you finally feel like, okay, I can grow these. I got this. Because they look wonderful.
Oh, I had success with a Dahlia one year and it was kind of two-toned. They're such pretty flowers. Here in VA I struggle to keep things growing once the heat hits. It's about unbearable.
Well, the blooms you have, are lovely!!!
Post a Comment