Friday, 31 July 2020

Bits of a day.

Blogger has changed my format to the new one, which was a bit of a surprise. So far there have been no major problems, but I'm sure, reading some of your posts, that there may well be.

Here's the first one....
I tried to upload a photo of Alexa, but it has disappeared.
So has she, sadly, as she died this week. Well, more a drowning actually , as she received a dose of orange juice when a mug fell over. She didn't recover.
We now have a new one.....with an American accent!

Here's a photo of Cafe au Lait, measuring nine inches across.
Amazing.

I saw a beautiful Peacock butterfly in the garden yesterday.
I have so many bees and feel very happy that wildlife thrives here.

Sweet peas have been a little disappointing this year. It could be that I used a free packet of seeds. There aren't as many flowers on the stems as usual, but the scent is still amazing. They are planted just by the sunroom door so the perfume drifts in.

You can maybe just see the little bench outside the door, where I sit with a morning cup of coffee. Just a moment for me while the Carers are busy with my husband.

I think that's all my ramblings for today.

11 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

so pleased you have that little bench by the door, for quiet moments here and there. I grew a wigwam of sweetpeas in a tub, first time they ever have grown, went about 5 feet high but only got about 8 flower stalks, cut hoping to get more but none. I have weeded it out now, they were from a seed packet and the smell was lovely but no flowers. I'm wondering how you stop weeds and moss taking over your patio brickwork - ours is the same as yours and we use a stick to scrape it all out - a never ending job!

Elizabethd said...

Try salt. It kills weeds really well.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a delightful, cozy spot to sit and drink your morning coffee. I do like your Cafe au Lait dahlia, such a lovely soft colour. What a pretty butterfly. We don't get many butterflies around here (even though we plant flowers they would like, and certainly nothing as pretty as yours).

I hope you have a lovely weekend, Barbara.
Brenda xox

Lorrie said...

What a lovely spot in which to begin the day. My sweetpeas are delightful this year. Not the masses I'd hoped for, but I am finding that regular cutting produces more blossoms. That's not a hardship as I love the scent of them in the house.
Your Cafe au Lait is beautiful. I will look for another next year as I lost mine over the winter. They are enormous, aren't they?
Enjoy your weekend!

Lynn said...

Lovely spot to have coffee. I did have a good early sweet pea crop but the stems were very twisty even though I trained and tied them straight as usual. Everything seems to have flowered early this year. Tomorrow my patio plants need feeding. Hope you have a good weekend.

Linda Baker said...

What a magnificent butterfly! It must have thrilled you to have it visiting your garden.
Blessings, Linda

mamasmercantile said...

Such a cosy space to sit and take in the garden. Beautiful butterfly.

Deanna Rabe said...

That cafe au lait dahlia is stunning!

I like your morning spot. Beautiful to sit and enjoy nature!

Pom Pom said...

Oh, you sound happy. It is weird how some years, the seeds don't perform well. Happy August!

ellen b. said...

A lovely spot for a cuppa! Cafe au lait is a beauty. Nine inches across! Enjoy your summer!

Anne Payne said...

Wow!!! I have never seen a butterfly like that! It's absolutely stunning!!! Thank you for sharing a picture. Your garden is always so lovely. :-)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...