Monday, 3 August 2020

Best birthday present!




My lovely daughter knows how much I would love a cat, but equally how impossible it is in the light of my husband's blindness etc.
So here is Poppy.
She miaows, she purrs and she rolls around.
Almost as good as a 'real' one!
I have been inundated with so many bunches of lovely flowers, and so many cards.
In the middle of taking a photo of them all, my camera died, and I think it may be terminal as the lens will not go back. Looking on Youtube it seems that there are ways of fixing it but with potential damage to the camera.
I'll have to think about it..

Update on the camera,
Having read all sorts of scholarly websites on repairing a camera, I went with the advice to....'if all else fails give it a thump with your hand.'
It worked!

21 comments:

Eileen T said...

Happy Birthday to you and a warm welcome to Poppy.

I hope you can get your camera sorted out.

Terri said...

Happy Birthday, Barbara! Love Poppy!

ellen b. said...

That was a thoughtful present for sure. Happy Birthday. I'm smiling about the thump working to fix your camera! Fabulous.

Angela said...

Happy birthday. I'm told that the technical term for thumping things to make them work is "percussive maintenance"!

Cheryl said...

Awww . . . I suppose this kitty will be easier to take care of. I can understand your desire for a cat though as I am a true cat person.

Well, look at you, fixing your own camera! :)

Granny Marigold said...

Happy Birthday!! How lovely to have an almost kitty. Also good news that giving your camera a thump did the trick.

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday. Love the almost kitty. I could definitely use one as I really miss our cat.

God bless.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happiest Birthday!
You and Poppy look beautiful.

Marigold Jam said...

Happy Birthday. Love the cat - I want one too!

Rambler said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Elizabeth - Poppy has to be one of the most unusual presents I've seen, but what a brilliant invention - and with no maintenance bills!
When I read about the fault with your camera, I remembered mine doing the same thing; the lens refusing to return to its closed position. I worried that it had a grain of sand in it as I had been walking on a beach. Pound signs flashed in my mind as I considered the cost of a repair but Hey Presto, in frustration I smacked it with the heel of my hand - and it whirred into action. We can now call ourselves Camera Repairers!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Many happy returns!!! I love Poppy, I have heard of these little robotic pets and think they are amazing, would love one myself! such a fun idea for you to have one and what a thoughtful daughter. We miss Ambercat and nearly adopted a cat this weekend from a rescue but realised we aren't all ready/on board yet and decided to wait longer. I hope your birthday week is full of surprises and treats. Well done with thumping the camera! I suspect that's what they do when we take these things in for repair at great cost to be honest! Betty x

Elderberry-Rob said...

p.s. that's a lovely picture in the cornflower blue of you and your hair is looking lovely.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Awww...that's a lovely photo of you with Poppy. I've been missing having kitty cats in our home, but our sweet marmalade neighbour kitty Miss Ziggy comes to visit often, so in a way she is like Poppy, adorable without my needing to be chief caretaker for her. I'm sorry to hear you have camera issues, chuckled to hear you took up the scholarly advice to give it a good thump!

A very happy birthday to you, dear Barbara!
Heart hugs,
Brenda xox

Elizabethd said...

Thank you Betty! Hair is due for a cut after 5 months!

Mary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY from Bob and me dear friend. Have a great day!
Love the photo of you with Poppy - she's so realistic! Great idea for a gift.
I'm doing 3 weeks of cat sitting for my neighbor - Nala is an indoor cat so it's just a twice daily visit to make sure she's taken care of. I'm off there shortly now the grass is drying out a bit after the torrential rains from the hurricane overnight!
Take care - much love.

Deanna Rabe said...

Thoughtful and fun gift! I'm glad your camera is working again! I hope your birthday was wonderful!

Anne Payne said...

Oh, I'm glad you got your camera working! Happiest of Birthdays, my dear friend!!! Kitty is adorable and what better than a no-mess animal ;-)

Lynn said...

Happy birthday x

Lorrie said...

Happy Birthday, Barbara! Poppy looks so real - I had to study the photo for awhile to see that she isn't. So glad your camera is working again after that most economical bit of maintenance.

Connie said...

Happy Birthday! I had to laugh because I had the same experience with my camera. I read to thump it on the counter, so I thought what do I have to loose. One nice thump and it worked again and that was a couple of years ago and it is still working :) I've not seen cats like that, it's very interesting and it makes me happy that your daughter thought to get it for you.
God bless you,
Connie :)

Laura L said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I have been using a web browser that didn't allow me to comment, but I have been here, faithfully reading your posts. Love, Laura

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...