Saturday, 31 October 2020

A lesson learned.

Our village shop had bags of pears, reduced in price yesterday. I bought a bag and thought how nice it would be to caramelise them.

So peeled and sliced , the pears went into a heavy pan with butter and sugar.

Of course ,we all know the first lesson when you are caramelising anything. 

You Do Not step away from the pan. Even for one minute.

Otherwise you end up, as did I, with a very burnt pan and no caramelised pears. What a waste.

I blame the postman ,who was in a chatty mood.

Today I bought two more bags (50p each) 

They will be delicately poached. Very carefully.


14 comments:

Angela said...

Oh dear! It's so easily done. Since losing my sense of smell I have to be much more diligent in the kitchen because I can't smell things burning!

Elderberry-Rob said...

oh dear, what a shame! easy to be distracted though - good luck with the second attempt :)

Lorrie said...

Oh my! It happens to all of us at some point. Poached pears sound delicious!

Granny Marigold said...

I'm glad you were able to get more pears and try again. Pears caramelized or poached, either way, are delicious.

ellen b. said...

I'm the worst at stepping away and then regretting it...
Glad you can try try again...

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good spirit to make more. Now I'm wondering if pearsauce will be a nice change from applesauce.

Jackie said...

Been there, done that. Mostly when I am making brittle or caramels.

God bless.

Mary said...

I severely burnt the bottom of a favorite saucepan recently. Was cooking down the last of the figs, forgot them and went upstairs. Bob saved the day. Luckily I didn't burn the house down!
Love poached pears - in wine of course!

Thanks for the email dear - so glad the book arrived. I know you will enjoy it.

Marigold Jam said...

Oh dear hope you have better luck with the poaching!

Carolien said...

Mmmm, sounds delicious. Hope the postman wasn't ringing again ;)

Love, Carolien

Anonymous said...

Oh bother, Barbara! I hope your pan wasn't to hard to clean up. I'm glad you found more pears and no doubt they will be wonderful poached! xo

Pom Pom said...

Oh no! I'm glad you were able to buy more. I do love pears. How nice that you chat with the postman.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I'm glad you were able to buy more pears. We have some Boscs ripening in the kitchen.

Anne Payne said...

Oh, what a bummer! I'm sure they would have been delicious. But it is sweet that your postman takes time to chat. We have one that will do that on occasion if I happen to be down at the box.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...