Sunday, 29 November 2020

 Advent, at home.

'preparing for Advent in unparallelled times.'

I'm taking part in Angela's annual Advent 'pause'. Only this year it isn't a pause , as we are all probably moving very slowly and carefully , and lives are paused already.

So, thinking about the preparations one makes for this season, and food comes to mind. Not the tins of chocolates/packets of fancy biscuits type of food. More the preparing of things that will go into the freezer, ready for when needed. 

This is what I bought from our lovely local farm shop this week. The owners have turned their business around, and opened a shop in a large marquee, in their field. They sell vegetables, flowers, plants, local honey and bakery items. When you enter there is a feeling of airiness and of space, and of course we all keep to the social distancing rules.

Most of the produce is grown by the family and I have rarely found such freshness. Cauliflower, leeks for soup, carrots (my husband calls them 'proper' carrots with the tops on, a loaf of bread, eggs and a sprout 'tree'. Soup is already made, ready for cold evenings when we just want something warm and comforting while listening to a Christmas choir.



This week there is a Christmassy feel to the shop, as the avenue has been lined with Christmas trees and fairy lights. There's an awning covering a display of Christmas wreaths, all handmade with local holly and fir by one of the family. I've chosen mine for the door but it won't go up till 9th December.

For me, this feeling of home made, home grown preparation comes close to what I want to feel abour Christmas. Less glitter, more Nature.
What do you think?

17 comments:

Angela said...

That looks delicious - and how lovely to buy from the growers, knowing they've really made a go of things in tough times. Pure, fresh and simple... Definitely the way forward this Advent

KirstenM said...

Soup - yes, what a great idea! I think I'll make some for supper tonight.

Sandi said...

I like homemade simplicity these days too. It seems like a good time to be restful and at home. It seems there is a gift in this worldwide pause!

Mary said...

Here's what I think, as you asked: It's a reminder of the best of life. Beauty in the simple elements of gifts from our Creator. Stunning color, a promise of exquisite flavor and taste, all offered in an atmosphere of peace and welcome. Thank you for reminding me that everything we need is right in front of us.

Visits With Mary said...

I know your soup with all those fresh veggies was delicious. I have always felt the simple pleasures and much better than all the 'worldly' things offered this time of year.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Oh yes, I agree - more about nature less glitz. I usually make my own wreath and made the base a few months back, there is just so much holly, pine and ivy in the woods I am spoilt for choice but I don't make mine until much nearer Christmas. I am pleased to see Angela is doing a Pause - I haven't joined in for a few years but will take some time out to visit other bloggers participating :) I thought of you when we were in Brighton on Wednesday, as I remembered our lovely day out at The Pavilion - thank goodness we did it, another opportunity might not come our way for a very long time and I enjoyed it so much . Betty x

Lorrie said...

Advent is such a special and beautiful time of year. For myself, I think that simplicity is at the very heart of Advent and Christmas and it is good for us to get back to that. I bought a plain evergreen wreath that I'm going to decorate with holly and cedar from our garden.
Your visit to the market sounds delightful. I'm beginning to think about simple meals for the two of us to share over the holidays so that I don't have to spend too much time in the kitchen.

Granny Marigold said...

What a great idea it is to open a shop right on the farm and sell wonderful fresh veggies and so much more. It would be a delight to go there and find the produce one needed for the week.
I was wondering if Pause in Advent would happen this year. Now I know.

Carolien said...

Hello dear Barbara,

I think that is excellent and wonderful and yes, very appropriate for this time of year ... and every day after that. I love proper carrots too ;)
Have a good Advent time!

Love Carolien

ellen b. said...

We've been very glitter free for a few years here. We are in an area of our state where there are so many farms and local farm markets and we've really enjoyed the local and fresh produce they sell. Advent is upon us and I hope and pray that I stay hopeful and expectant. Come Lord Jesus...come.

elizabeth said...

oh that's so lovely! I am so glad you have this in your life! I am way too urban to have something like that nearby (I wish often that was not the case but it is and so it is)... I am ready for whatever Christmas decorations people put up. Mine are all up. God bless you dear one! I am so so glad you have such wonderful food and such a nice place nearby!

mamasmercantile said...

The local business sounds amazing. The produce looks so good. As we start the Advent season it is so nice to simply things a little and appreciate everything that we have.

Bless said...

Less glitter and more nature sounds wonderful. (Visiting from Angela's blog and advent post)

magsmcc said...

Oh, I think that is absolutely the perfect attitude for These Strange Times and always. Getting back to what is real and to what sustains and nourishes. Burrowing into warmth and goodness as winter progresses, and we take time to hibernate and heal. Much love to you and your husband this Advent season x

Cheryl said...

A simple celebration is always appropriate, and even more so this year. I like your husband's description of "proper carrots." :)

Anonymous said...

Barbara, less glitter and more Nature is absolutely best! I am hoping to make some homemade Christmas decorations with fresh oranges (I need to dehydrate them) and cinnamon sticks. I love the earthiness of all things of nature!

Jackie said...

This is what Advent should be a slowing down, not necessarily our pace, but taking the time to get rid of the glitter, going back in time to when things were made by hand and people enjoyed the preparation.

God bless.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...