Today was a great day for the Greenhouse. It has had a clean and a clear out. I haven't really kept tabs on things this last year and there were old plantpots, out of date bottles of feed, numerous plastic bags from compost and so on. It was a jumble.
I have a nice gardening chap who comes for an hour every week, but hasnt been since Christmas, and he set to , threw out all the unwanted things, brushed down the potting table and generally made sense of it all. I'm finding (old age? arthritis?) that I cant bend down in quite the supple way I used to, so it was good to have him here,
It has focussed me on sorting out seed packets, some from last year and a few already from this year which came as a special offer with a magazine. I have two lovely catalogues to browse through, one being my favourite Sarah Raven, so must get an order in soon.
I'm planning to have three potato bags on the go as they were a success last Summer. I won't be planting masses of vegetables this year, just a few Broad beans and a Climbing French bean. And of course the Tomatoes. No doubt enthusiasm will triumph and there will be other things as time goes by, but in reality I find that my husband's needs take precedence. Maybe just a tiny courgette? a cucumber? some Basil.......
Watch this space!

14 comments:
It’s fun to talk of garden ideas and plans!
Isn't it great to have someone in to help and get things under control, ready for Spring? I'm fortunate that my youngest son is always willing to give me a hand because I'm "not so supple" either, any more.
Basil and curly parsley
Happy Seed catalog
Glad you had those extra hands to help tidy things. I'm considering bringing in some help to clear beds I couldn't get to before winter. Hope the last week of January goes well in your corner...
Your greenhouse looks perfect, you could grow quite a lot in there without too much trouble but need your man to set up a sprinkler hose that can be controlled from the outdoor tap perhaps to make life easy for you. I grew lots of salad leaf in small flower pots on trays last summer and put the trays on my garden table which was usually not needed. I just watered the whole lot with a long hose daily - maybe you would enjoy doing this in/out of the greenhouse as you get so much to eat, (it was cut and come again variety) being on a table would be ideal for you to avoid bending.
Gerard and I have started talking garden, so much to start planning and look forward to. Your space is looking wonderful.
Hooray for your newly tidy potting shed! Doesn't it feel wonderful! I look forward to seeing what your garden grows! xo
I found all my garden books and plan on starting my planning next month. I may even order some seeds.
God bless.
It is nice to have a reset in any area, so I am sure that you're enjoying your tidied up greenhouse! Looking forward to seeing peeks of your garden, to see what sneaks up on you! :)
Tidying up the potting bench is a good way to begin gardening season! I am thinking about what I will plant this year and must order my seeds soon as they sold out so quickly last year. Everyone was restricted at home and decided to plant gardens, it seems. This year is no different! I had to smile at your adding a plant here or there to your list - I do the same and am always looking for places in the garden to tuck them in.
I wish I had a greenhouse to work in. I always look forward to your gardening posts, Barbara!
I just love your gardening posts! I love that you have something beautiful to look forward to and to have in the summer and have garden bounty to freeze! I love that you have made pasta sauce with your own tomatoes! :)
I cannot imagine pottering in the greenhouse already--it's pretty cold here--but it must be a nice dreaming already about what you might want to plant in a few weeks time. How lovely to have the fellow come in and do a tidy and clear out for you. That always feels good.
Seed sowing and planning for the coming season are such welcome activities when the days are short and nights long. Sarah Raven has a wonderful selection of plants, so your garden is bound to look stunning.
Post a Comment