I had an hour to spend this morning while my car had new tyres fitted.
Just opposite the workshop is the entrance to Victoria Gardens. The gardens lie on the edge of the city of Truro and today all was very quiet, just me, a gardener and a couple of dog walkers. And birdsong.
There are so many lovely mature trees. Doesn't this one look charming with its surround of miniature daffodils? Seats are everywhere, and for a while I sat and gazed, and listened to birds, and said Good morning to a walker or two.
On a Summer Sunday there are often Band concerts in the Bandstand here. You would be right to think that it has a Victorian air. The Park was created in 1878 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
High over the gardens Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Viaduct looms. Actually, although the original was built in 1859, what you see is a later replacement. The old buttresses still stand but are no longer in use. The trains from London to Penzance cross the viaduct. Coming home from College I used to wait for this view just before the station. Then I knew I was home.
The sound of rushing water permeated the morning, and I enjoyed gazing at the River Kenwyn racing through one edge of the park. The waterfall is quite fierce here.
Another view of the river. Soon the trees overhanging it will regain their leaves. The river runs right under the city and has in its time proved a real problem with flooding.
Looking carefully, you can maybe just see the white Magnolia almost ready to burst into flower.
A last look at the Spring flowers planted around the Gardens.
What a restful place to spend an hour.
21 comments:
I always rather like parks especially one's with bandstands - there used to be one opposite our old house and it had concerts every Sunday in summer - we could sit our garden and listen or pop over with a picnic and chairs.
How fortunate to have your new tires fitted across from this beautiful park. Love that old tree with the daffodils. It would make a great illustration in a fantasy novel. Hope the end of February goes well in your corner!
What a lovely place to wait for new tires! I love seeing that spring has arrived in England!
Beautiful park and surrounding area. I could almost hear the river's rushing sound. You're quite a bit ahead of us as far as Spring is concerned. No daffodils here yet.
You made that waiting time extra special! What beautiful sights!
oh that's so lovely!!! I am so very glad you had that peaceful time in such a beautiful garden!
thats a beautiful place, what a great way to spend time while the boring job of car maintenance is carried out! How good too that you are able to go out and enjoy fresh air and a walk :)
Hello dear Barbara,
What a lovely park to spend your waiting time!
Have a good weekend & love Carolien
What a great place to sit and watch the world go by, the perfect sanctuary.
The park is so beautiful and serene. I enjoyed your pictures and information. Have a nice weekend!
Blessings, Linda
Beautiful morning
If travel was allowed, and I could, traveling to UK and back would be a double Spring. :)
Dear Barbara, What a beautiful spot to spend an hour. The daffodils are so cheerful, and there are many lovely features in the park. Thank you for showing them to us.
What a beautiful place! I can see bringing a book along with me and finding a nice quiet spot to read.
A delightful place! Spring is definitely coming! What a relief that will be :)
What a lovely park to spend some time communing with nature.
God bless.
It's so nice that you had such a lovely place near by to visit while your tires were being fitted. I enjoyed seeing your spring garden, looks like you are at least a month ahead of us . . . maybe more :)
The comment you left on my blog said you would be coming over . . . my guest room is available to you if you ever do make it to our side of the pond. I would be honored and over joyed to have you visit :)
What a beautiful park. The bandstand is glorious.
The park is lovely!!! Those daffodils are just popping around the tree! I had to look up the park on Google maps. The architecture of some of the buildings in the area is stunning. To visit anywhere in the UK would be a dream. :-)
What a wonderful place to sit and enjoy.
I took my first steps towards a bandstand, when I was 18 months old. My mum was in despair as I was a very late walker ( I bottom shuffled) and a very early talker! And off I went, toddling towards the band and making the same actions that the conductor was making. My mum always said it was hilarious! So I love to see a park with a bandstand..and better still, if it has a band playing in it!
om logistics Logistics is the highly acclaimed top logistics company in India, providing supply chain management services for organizations across 160+ countries around the globe. 3pl warehouse
air cargo logistics
Post a Comment