It saddens me when I hear that fields of Daffodils like these, are left to rot. It saddens the growers too as they have spent time and money raising these lovely flowers.
What's the problem?
Simply, not enough pickers. Some growers have had half the number of workers picking as they did in previous years. A Penzance grower produces 500 million stems a year and needs 700 pickers, many of whom have previously come from EU countries. Both Brexit and Covid have made travel almost impossible.
This year only around 400 workers are on site and this means huge losses for the growers . What is particularly sad is that jobs were offered to locals who turned up for a few days and then said it was too cold/windy/rainy etc.........
*******
I'm taking a little while off to deal with some medical issues, but hope it won't be long before I'm back.

21 comments:
We have exactly the same problem here on Vancouver Island - not enough foreign workers allowed in to pick the daffodils, and locals unwilling to do the hard work. It is very sad.
I hope your medical issues are soon resolved. Take care, Barbara. Hugs, Lorrie
Oh no I had no idea - what a shame - and how sad for the growers. I hope you will be ok with the medical issues.
Yes, that is very sad. I'd hoped to find some in the grocery store the other day, but no.
Do take care.
Blessings, Linda
How sad.
What a shame to lose such lovely flowers. Covid's effects are far-reaching.
I will pray that your medical issues are soon resolved! Take care!
I hope you can deal with the medical issues speedily. Be safe and well.
I hope that your medical issues resolve quickly. So very sorry for the growers. This pandemic and Brexit seem to have caused problems unthought of.
God bless.
Hope all will be well for you soon!
That's so sad - but I'm hoping the bulbs, being perennial, will return next year and bloom again when there are people willing to come and harvest.
Barbara, hoping you and M will be fit as fiddles again real soon.
We'll all be here awaiting your return.
Sending love and hugs - Mary
Thoughts and prayers xx So very sad about the daffodils.
It's amazing how one thing can affect the next and so on. I never would have thought about daffodils being affected by the pandemic. Praying for you!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY dear Barbara X
They grow them in Pembrokeshire too - same problems there this year. Wishing you swift recovery.
That is sad news indeed.
Take care, dear friend, I hope things go well/better for you!
Love and hugs Carolien
I used to live next to a Daffodil field. Very few were ever picked, but the bulbs were dug up eaxh year after the leaves started to brown and sold overseas. Same with tulips, apparently. Hope all goes well for you and Malcolm. x
Oh wow. That is sad to know so many of those gorgeous flowers will rot. I hope you are feeling better soon. {{hugs}}
It is sad.
I do hope that you are ok and that things get better really quickly.
Xxx
I hope you're all well soon!
I wish I could pick daffodils!
I sometimes used to pick a small bunch as I returned from my dog-walk through the daffodil field, but still felt guilty and scared I would be seen! They are my favourite flower and I hated to know that they were all going to be wasted.
I hope things will improve as the days get longer and lighter, Barbara. xx
Barbara the story about the daffodils is so sad but even sadder is knowing that you're not well. You are in my prayers, God bless you sweet lady.
Hope you’ll feel better soon!
It’s a big waste with the daffodils!
Post a Comment