Monday, 21 February 2022

Wordle

 I have been reading, on other peoples' blogs, about a game called Wordle. This week I thought I might find out a bit more about it. It was invented by Josh Wardle in America, in 2021. At first there were only 90 players recorded, but 300,000 are known to have played it this January 2022. 

Fortunately there is only one Wordle game per day.

It is addictive, I warn you.

Once I'd worked out how to play, it became an interesting challenge. I have managed to get it down to finding the answer in three goes. 
I read somewhere that once you had worked out how to play it, the game becomes boring, but I havent found that. 
It still amazes me that thousands of people are playing it, all starting from a different word and all ending with the same one.
I think anyone who loves words will enjoy this little challenge. I'm aiming to win in two goes!

Achieved this morning! 23/02/22 Now what?

18 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I read the average is around 3 or 4 tries. Yesterday was my longest at 5. I don't play everyday to keep it from being boring. Mahjong solitaire and jigsaw puzzles aren't boring when done daily.

Angela said...

I agree with SPS, I get it usually in 3 or 4 [unless I make a silly mistake] I do not like ones with repeated letters or [worst of all] American spellings. So I do not do well with COLOR and similar words. A couple of times I have done it in 2, but that was chance rather than skill. I always put the word STARE in as my first row.

Mary said...

I'd never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago when my brother wrote and said he and his wife were sitting in their kitchen - in France - doing WORDLE! I looked it up but haven't taken time to try it, and probably won't. I'm really not a 'gamer' of any sort despite knowing these types of things are supposed to assist with keeping the old brain functioning better!!!!!
I'm sitting here with my toast and marmalade breakfast watching the birds through the window - hoping that will also help my brain active, haha!!!!!!
Hope no more storms coming your way - must have been scary!
Mary x

Cheryl said...

I love Wordle! Yes, it is addictive, but with only one word per day, it is not a big time-stealer, so I'm all in!

Lorrie said...

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I found a site where one can play multiple games in a day. I went down the rabbit hole for a few days, but eased back. Now I haven't played for a couple of weeks. 3-4 was my usual.
It is quite something to think of people all over the world playing this with different words.
Do you use a paper and pencil alongside? I never did, but one of my friends does, and as a result she gets it in 2 or 3 regularly. I can't decide if that's cheating or not. In the end, it doesn't really matter.

Granny Marigold said...

Like Lorrie I discovered the Wordle archives and have to discipline myself not to spend too much time there. I tell myself it's very good for my aging brain.
Once the weather turns warm I know I won't be as tempted to play Wordle or other on-line games but for now...

Elderberry-Rob said...

Oh I love the sound of this, I haven't the time right now as going back to work so am going to store the idea for my next holiday when I often sit around idle and wish I had something to do! I suspect you would be extremely good at this :)

Jane from Dorset said...

and I always begin with TEARS but stare is more cheerful!

Mary Lou said...

I haven’t found the secret of getting it in three!

ellen b. said...

I am still Wordle free. :) I've seen a lot about it, though. Enjoy.

elizabeth said...

I have not done this game but I know it makes many happy, giving enjoyment! :)

Theresa said...

My husband and I do this everyday. Neither of us is happy unless we get the word in 3 tries. It is fun.

Theresa said...

Pure luck :).

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I have heard of this word challenge, and tried it once, it was fun. I should give it another try, I guess! Sounds like it is a great daily challenge that doesn't take a lot of time. I heard someone else say they always started with the word adore.

Jackie said...

Not playing here, I might have to eventually give it a try.

God bless.

Connie said...

This is the first I've heard of the game. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for sharing.

Rambler said...

I love Wordle! I hope it aids my memory and keeps my old brain active. Played 47 games so far, with a 100% success rate. I introduced my son and his partner to it, and we are very competitive, so it means we have daily communications between me in Cornwall and David & Dima in Turkey. Also several of my online friends play it too.
Josh Wardle made a fortune from his invention when the New York Times recently bought it from him. Clever chap!

Rambler said...

Erm . . there's also Nerdle - the numbers version; Quordle - guessing 4 words within 1 game; Worldle - guessing the country or state when given just an outline of the area . . . All huge time-consumers if you have nothing to do. I occasionally have a go at Nerdle because I love numbers, but having tried the others, I won't get drawn in to any more.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...