Thursday, 1 December 2022

Colours of December.


 This Christmas will be a low key one, but I felt that my Advent wreath and candles would be far lovelier than decorations.

It's many years since we bought the wreath, now a bit battered, from Liberty in London. It's gone on and on, losing bits here and there but still giving a colourful sense of Christmas.

My Christmas cactus is excelling itself, probably because I remembered to feed it. Those shiny pink petals are a delight.

I am not sending cards this year, but will instead give a donation to the Marie Curie charity, whose night nurses helped me so much in Malcolm's last weeks.

Now we are in December. There's a smell of pine trees in the air. Bunches of holly and greenery are on sale in our local Farm shop, so much more appealing than glittery plastic.

I hope you all enjoy decorating your homes for this wonderful season.

15 comments:

Lorrie said...

Dear Barbara,
I can fully understand your desire to keep a quiet Christmas this year. Your Advent wreath still looks great, and holds many memories. I'm sure you think of the homes it has graced. What a beautiful cactus! You've reminded me that I must feed mine, although I have little hope that it will bloom for Christmas as it bloomed a couple of months ago.
We always have a real tree, and it's now sitting outside in a bucket of water where it will stay for another week or so before bringing it in.

Carolien said...

Dear Barbara,

Your Advent scenery is beautiful. What a lovely small quilt! Have a good Advent time.
We also think of some charities at Christmas time. Just a few cards for very special friends and family ...

Love, Carolien

ellen b. said...

We've had quiet Christmases here and there through the years because of grief or illness. Your Advent scene is lovely and that Cactus is quite nice. Blessings and peace to you this December.

Mrs. White said...

Such cheerful and pretty decorations you have! It is a beautiful welcome to the Christmas season.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I think the older our decorations get the more precious they become as they hold so many happy memories :) I haven't decorated yet, we don't do ours until 12th but we will put fairy lights up this weekend at the back of the house as we can see them in the evening through the patio doors :)

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas Cactus is stunning! It has so many blooms. Lovely quilted mat that the Advent wreath is on. Granny Marigold

elizabeth said...

these are truly beautiful and 'enough' beyond question. I fully understand a more low-key Christmas - you have experienced great loss and change - it takes a while to find a new way forward - and I think you must be very tired, including inwardly. I hope and pray that you are given inner refreshment and comfort - whether in books (Elizabeth Goudge Scent of Water has done this for me) and/or in many other ways - prayer, beauty, quietness - I pray this for you.

Anonymous said...

Your cactus is lovely.

I like using natural greens in my Christmas decor. Your wreath with your advent candles is full of beauty and memories. It’s just right for Christmas.

Deanna Rabe

Anonymous said...

An Advent prayer for you, Barbara. Your Liberty wreath looks very nice on that little quilt, and really says everything that is needed. x

Anonymous said...

Your advent wreath is lovely and your cactus is beautiful! Mine is still in bud, sitting next to a pink Poinsettia. I’ve never had a pink one so thought it might make a change! I love the smell of pine, too. I’ll be thinking of you this Christmas. I was in hospital last Christmas so didn’t really have a Christmas! But I do like a simple Christmas, the less fuss, the better! 😁

Mary said...

Dear Barbara, I'm glad you are using your pretty wreath and bright candles which hold so many memories, along with such a beautiful plant it is all you really need this year. Hoping you will be with family and friends as much as possible as I know Malcolm would not want you to stay alone at this time of year. Thinking of you as always.
Love, M&B

Visits With Mary said...

Sometimes our oldest decorations and our dearest decorations. All I can say about your Christmas Cactus is WOW, it's gorgeous. It must make your room very cheery. Hope you're enjoying good days. :)

Latane Barton said...

I hope my Christmas cactus will perform as well as yours. It's full of small buds. I have my fingers crossed X.

Terri said...

Barbara, I am praying for you during this holiday season as it will be different for you. I love that table mat. And the cactus is beautiful. Mine is doing very well this year too.

Angela said...

Love and prayers as ever

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...