Saturday, 21 January 2023

Decorating

 It's time to redecorate, not Christmas decorations, but a house 'refresh'. Our Carers were wonderful people, but a bit heavy handed with wheelchair, walking frame etc, and there are some areas that need recovery.


I went to our Homebase store and was bewildered by the choices, so just bought some tester pots.



The sitting room will be first. so here I am, surrounded by tiny tins of paint testers. Did you know there are dozens of variations on 'white'? And they are all different!



The wall now has interesting patches of colour, ranging from white, creamy white, muddy white, through to something called Shimmer. I've got to the point of thinking 'Oh let's just put another coat of the original colour on'.



My decorator will, hopefully, be here by the end of the month. Time to make up my mind! Maybe I'll just try another couple of splodges , um, testers.


18 comments:

KirstenM said...

How exciting! I'm sure it will be worth all the kerfuffle to have everything looking fresh and renewed.

Terri said...

I always have such a hard time making up my mind with paint choices. I think getting the testers is a good idea. It's amazing at how much better a fresh coat of paint makes everything look.

elizabeth said...

Very good 👍 idea! Just the ticket ❤️ My Dad is retired now but still works part time... he is a professional painter excellent at his job! He painted our whole condo before we moved in! He also advised me on what paint and colours to use. Maybe you need someone who can help you pun down paint and colour? There *are* a lot of whites! Try to get one that is warm and calming as opposed to a blinding bright white that is not restful ❤️👍 love ❤️ and prayers 🙏

elizabeth said...

*pin down

Lorrie said...

Those test splodges will be greatly helpful in the end. Cool or warm, undertones of pink or yellow or green or blue - so many, many choices. Your home will look fresh and beautiful when it's all done.

Carolien said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Just this morning we went looking for paint to repaint the kitchen. We like the colour we have had for the past 30 some years but now to match it seems a problem. The dining room is all in the same area and we had hoped not to have to repaint that too so a close match is necessary. The small sample tins might be an idea for us too. I hope you (and I) can find a shade that will be pleasing. Granny M

Hootin Anni said...

Hello! I'm here from another's blog (and your comment link)...dropping in for a visit.
My husband and I are doing a lot of the same work you are intending to have done. The entire interior! Looking good...just finished the living room.

You know what I did for choosing paint color...I took an electrical socket plate & matched as close as I could to a paint swab. lol

Nice to meet you.

Connie said...

I love painting, wish I was there to help you. I know how hard it is to decide on a color, because once it's up you'll be living with in for a long time. All of those colors are very neutral and will look pretty and fresh. When it's done I know you'll be happy with the results.

Jackie said...

A fresh coat of paint does wonders. That pot of Shimmer sounds very interesting.

God bless.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love decorating. We have a very pale grey on the walls downstairs and dark grey in the bedroom, it makes everything very crisp and white stands out looking very fresh next to it, also means most colours go with it - so lour accessories can be changed to create a new colour scheme with low cost! I think you love blues so whites with a hint of blue would be lovely for your sunny house.

meandmysmallcorner said...

We are repainting our kitchen at the moment and had a number of test pot colours on the wall to help us decide the final one. I'm sure your sitting room will be lovely when the decorator has finished.

Anonymous said...

Hi B! I feel for you having to choose colors! I always need help, but we just keep the same cottage white for all white wall painting.

ellen b. said...

How nice to anticipate the decorator who can guide you in your choices. Yes, I agree, there are soooo many whitish choices!

Catherine said...

I like Farrow and Ball paints. I did not know there was Country Living one?
I always buy Farrow and Ball testers and after my choice is done I use them for crafts our small pieces of furniture to paint , such as the top of a small side table.

Anonymous said...

It will look lovely, and smell so fresh - just right for Spring!

Deanna Rabe said...

What a great project for late winter! It'll be refreshed in time for spring!

Sandi said...

I had to go back to your newer post and see which shade you chose. I can't tell! 😊

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...