I don't know if Twixmas is a new word or if it has older origins. It seems to pop up every day on my screen with advice on how to make the most of the period 'betwixt Christmas and NewYear'.
The suggestions range from booking a holiday, getting out in the fresh air, to taking your new Teddy for a tour of the house. We do have lots of very fresh air here but it is also extremely wet. The rain never stops and the most I do is to rush out to the bird table with daily feed.
The Teddies that live here are quite happy to continue hibernating, which seems like a good idea. For me, it's a week to continue to recover from the very unpleasant virus. I'm reading so much, and once again realising what an elegant writer Rosamund Pilcher is.
It's a time to slowly read through the lovely Christmas cards and letters. No social events, family phone calls only, a little letter writing to thank people for gifts.
A time to re charge and just enjoy the present moment.

10 comments:
I am glad to read that you are recovering, dear Barbara. I've read of so many people who have been hit hard with nasty viruses. I've not heard of anyone using "Twixmas" in person, but have seen a few instances of it online.
I am currently re-reading Winter Solstice, too. I agree that Rosamunde Pilcher's writings are elegant. I have a number of her books and never tire of picking them up.
Wishing you good health and happy days.
I definitely haven't been booking holidays, nor taken my Teddies for a tour of the house but I share your love of reading anything that involves Cornwall (I love it when I recognise an area that I know so well.) Sadly most of my reading now is on my back-lit Kindle, which enables me to increase the size of the text - all the better for the ease of reading it.
Isn't the weather DIRE? Storms galore, gusty strong winds and non-stop driving rain - will it ever end? I'm so longing for Spring to arrive and the promise of flowers appearing and lawns needing cutting as opposed to resuscitation. No doubt the Summer will be too hot, though . . . .
Get well soon, Barbara - much love - Rosemary xx
So happy you are recovering, Barbara. Glad for better days ahead, even on these "Twixmas" days.I smiled when you mentioned that your Teddies are hibernating in the acclimate weather. Smart bears. I saw Monty Don's Ned look out his front door this morning at a dismal wet day and wisely turn his paws round to the warmth of his indoor nook.
Finished reading Winter Solstice on Christmas Eve - such a satisfying read. It never grows old. I agree Rosamunde is such an elegant writer. I'm now delving into Little Women and enjoying the adventures and trials of the four March girls. A most satisfying read as well.
Happy New Year - and wishes for a complete recovery in the days ahead. Love to you, Brenda xo
Wishing you still moments to reflect on your Christmas season, a warm fire to keep you warm and a lovely cup of tea to fill your body with that satisfying glow that tea can bring during quiet times spent inside looking out at the chilly weather.
God bless you sweet blogging friend,
Connie :)
It's good to know that you are getting better. Reading Rosamunde Pilcher is always so soothing and peaceful. May 2024 bring you much happiness and good health. Granny M
I must read some Rosamunde Pilcher again - it's years since I did... Keep warm and grow strong ❤️👍🙏
Your plans for "Twixmas" sound just right! Rest, reading, and recovery. May these days be peaceful and restorative. (The three of us are also sick, beginning on Christmas evening, so these are slow days here too.)
I'm exhausted from 3 weeks of the cough - yesterday I actually went to bed in the afternoon (something I never do) and slept for hours, I'm just so tired all the time.I guess time will heal, you, me and all the others who have this virus. Now, 'flu is overtaking COVID here - one just doesn't know which way to turn.
I was going to start taking down the decorations today but just haven't the energy.
We still have gifts awaiting pick up - daughter is sick too and missed Xmas with us - and leftover mince pies and cookies are not even tempting me to eat!
Like you dear, I'm reading and resting, hoping and praying I'll be over all this for the New Year.
Hang in there, love Mary X
Glad you are well, Barbara!
We've had quite a bit of rain, and have been glad that our temps have been mild or we'd be buried in snow!
I've been knitting, and listening to an audio book, learning to play my new mandolin!
We've all been well. I'm grateful.
Happy New Year!
I like that, 'twixmas'. Over here we are just trying to figure out what day of the week it is. I'm glad you have some good reading to keep you company during your recovery. Our little grands both got sick over Christmas and it was hard on everyone. We did not get a white Christmas here and have had lots of fog and rain. It will be interesting to see how snowy January will be. Hope you stay cozy and content and are tip top soon. A very Happy New Year is wished for you!
Post a Comment